DIY Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a 2015 Leaf owner, I have observed that you can push the car forward or back by hand when it is in neutral. It is about as hard to push as an IC car (on a flat smooth garage floor). You have to have the motor "on" to keep it in N, as it automatically goes into P when you shut it off. The first time I drove it, I was surprised that it "creeps" ahead when you put it into drive, just like an automatic trans on an IC car. I assume the creeping and the existence of N is just so it behaves like cars we are used to. With a completely computer controlled motor, they can program it to behave however they want, so applying a bit of forward torque in D and no torque in N it is. It doesn't do regenerative braking unless you put it in the second D position, called B. I suspect if you towed it with the motor turned on and in B mode, it would charge the battery just like it would if you are rolling down a steep slope.
I have heard that the newer ones will come to a full stop when you take your foot off the accelerator, so my comments about creep may not apply to them.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
A Leaf can regeneratively brake in "D", but "B" changes the logic and increases the amount of braking. "D" might not brake unless the brake pedal is pressed (I don't know) and in that case if it didn't creep then "D" would probably be as good as "N" for hand pushing.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts