DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am considering a 1996 MY VW Golf to convert and am going to use a Nissan leaf Motor and Gear box. I measured it up and it should all fit with some custom axles.

Question is - should I start with a manual or auto golf ? I assume it doesn't matter as I am deleting the original gearbox anyway.

Reason for the strange choice is that where I live, 25 year old cars get concessional "club" rego (down from $800 p.a. to about $90) and insurance discount is similar. So ideal for a second car.

Cheers

Digger

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Question is - should I start with a manual or auto golf ? I assume it doesn't matter as I am deleting the original gearbox anyway.
I agree - it doesn't matter since the original transaxle isn't being used. There may be less of a shifter hole in the tunnel to fill with an automatic, but that's a really minor factor. The automatic also won't have a clutch pedal and master cylinder or cable mechanism, so that's one less item to get rid of.

It probably makes sense to get whatever you can find in the best body condition, given the age.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts