DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.

First, I will briefly tell you about myself,
I have an auto repair shop and have been self-employed for almost 10 years.
www.byensautoteknik.dk
I have extensive experience in auto engineering and mechanical work.

I have before made difference EV things like 4 wheel scooter bikes and RC.

I have picked up an old Nissan Sunny Truck in Dubai which I am in the process of renovating with a complete undercarriage from the Nissan silvia S13-S14.
In this connection, I have chosen to make air suspension on it as it should only be an eye-catcher for my company.

In this connection, I have chosen to buy a complete driveline from a nissan leaf 24kwh and mount it in my Nissan as it is ideal for this conversion.

I have room for half of the battery pack under the charge where my tank has been and the rest of the pack 24 module on top of the charge in an ALU toolbox

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
129 Posts
My plan is to go for the original inverter for a start. then it can be approved by authorities.

Do you sell the leaf couplers?
replacing the mother board inn the original leaf inverter shouldnt effect approval, but the resolve controller is nice at a plug and play.

there’s the newer gen3/4/5 leaf inverters will directly swap onto the em57 motor which is nice as they are 110kw and 160kw.
the can bus messages are (mostly) the same, so they should work with the resolve controller.
nice options for the future if you want more power 😎

yup I have couplers available and soon adapter plates

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
replacing the mother board inn the original leaf inverter shouldnt effect approval, but the resolve controller is nice at a plug and play.

there’s the newer gen3/4/5 leaf inverters will directly swap onto the em57 motor which is nice as they are 110kw and 160kw.
the can bus messages are (mostly) the same, so they should work with the resolve controller.
nice options for the future if you want more power 😎

yup I have couplers available and soon adapter plates
when it is up an running, I need to get more power.
I never have a car that is standard.
How much do you want for it.
I have not found out the gearbox I will use.
a short model Nissan box is perfect for my car

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Are you planning to mount the motor in front (where the engine was), driving the rear axle via a shaft like the original? Have you considered mounting the motor with the Leaf transaxle at the rear axle, since you're converting to independent suspension anyway?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you planning to mount the motor in front (where the engine was), driving the rear axle via a shaft like the original? Have you considered mounting the motor with the Leaf transaxle at the rear axle, since you're converting to independent suspension anyway?
My plan is to mount the engine were it was an put in a normal gearbox without clutch.
my rear end is not converted into independent it is just original but with airbag instead of leaf springs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
How much do you want for it.
I’ll pm you about the coupler.

im starting a open database of transmission bolt patterns to make it easier/cheaper/faster for doing conversion.
Making adapter plates a 2 part assembly;

-motor plate with a NEMA B-face bolt pattern

-transmission plate plate NEMA B-face bolt pattern.

Im getting a batch of adapter plates for the leaf motor made with the NEMA bolt pattern, about 25mm thick. In bulk they become quite cheap.
If your interested in working together on transmission side of the design.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have looked at som different gearbox an maybe found a box that is well known in most places in the world.
The Borg Wagner T5
The good thing about this transmission is that the bellhause is to take off an make a direct adapter for the gearbox an then get rid of the bellhuse with the starter an clutch hul.
Wat a you thinking about it.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Have you considered mounting the motor with the Leaf transaxle at the rear axle, since you're converting to independent suspension anyway?
My plan is to mount the engine were it was an put in a normal gearbox without clutch.
my rear end is not converted into independent it is just original but with airbag instead of leaf springs.
That works, but I'm confused what you meant by this:
I have picked up an old Nissan Sunny Truck in Dubai which I am in the process of renovating with a complete undercarriage from the Nissan silvia S13-S14.
A Silvia S13 or S14 has an independent rear suspension, but apparently you're not using that. What part of the undercarriage from the Silvia are you using?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have looked at som different gearbox an maybe found a box that is well known in most places in the world.
The Borg Wagner T5
the t5 is great in that it’s light and universal.

I was just given a old FS5W71-B Nissan transmission, which I pulled the bell housing off so I can easily get it measured in the metrology lab I have access to.

the bolt pattern is(mostly) the same (minus the starter location) across many years of Nissan/Datsun vehicles from my understanding.

Though I do know the SR series is a different bolt pattern

some info on the 71 series transmissionsTech Wiki - 71-Series Transmission : Datsun 1200 Club

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Product Automotive tire Trigger Font Motor vehicle

the t5 is great in that it’s light and universal.

I was just given a old FS5W71-B Nissan transmission, which I pulled the bell housing off so I can easily get it measured in the metrology lab I have access to.

the bolt pattern is(mostly) the same (minus the starter location) across many years of Nissan/Datsun vehicles from my understanding.

Though I do know the SR series is a different bolt pattern

some info on the 71 series transmissionsTech Wiki - 71-Series Transmission : Datsun 1200 Club
I have the complete front from a Silvia s13-s14 and my rear end is original Nissan sunny ute.
same as Datsun 1200 but stronger rear diff.
I will have the leaf engine in the front an keep my original rear diff as it is ratet to 320nm.

I think the T50 is a good choice in size an I love to keep it in same family Nissan.
the one box I have found is from a 300zx 1986

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the T50 is a good choice in size an I love to keep it in same family Nissan.
the one box I have found is from a 300zx 1986
I’ll do a rough trace of the 71-b transmission I have and post The drawing. If you do the same with yours, we can see if the bolt pattern is the same. If they are the same, then maybe I’ll go ahead and acutely measure it with the CMM machine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ll do a rough trace of the 71-b transmission I have and post The drawing. If you do the same with yours, we can see if the bolt pattern is the same. If they are the same, then maybe I’ll go ahead and acutely measure it with the CMM machine.
Nice i can make a drawing of the box end I this week.
then we can se.
I’m still in the early state of my plan to couple engine an gearbox together.
I think I will cut the gearbox axel in length and cut a key way in it an then couple it to yours leaf couplers with a type like this in the picture
Font Red Advertising Poster Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a rough bolt pattern of the 71b Nissan transmission. Here’s a photo of the assembly. One 5mm plate for the transmission, and the thicker (25mm) one is the universal leaf adapter plate. they bolt together via the 4bolt NEMA B-face bolt pattern.
So far it looks like there’s no colliding bolt holes!

diyelectriccar wont let me attach the .dxf and .iges files of the rough adapter plate, so ill just email them to you

Font Art Circle Pattern Drawing

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a rough bolt pattern of the 71b Nissan transmission. Here’s a photo of the assembly. One 5mm plate for the transmission, and the thicker (95mm) one is the universal leaf adapter plate. they bolt together via the 4bolt NEMA B-face bolt pattern.
So far it looks like there’s no colliding bolt holes!

diyelectriccar wont let me attach the .dxf and .iges files of the rough adapter plate, so ill just email them to you

View attachment 125724
Hi.
oh that luck’s very good.
I need to go for a model without my bellhouse because I not have the room in my littel car.
My gearbox is the T5 with bolt platen A
Line Font Parallel Cylinder Auto part

I will cut the axel on my gearbox an make it 22,6mm so it will fit in your couplers.

then the space between engine an gearbox is only the length of yours couplers.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Rim

1 - 20 of 40 Posts