DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to take on a new automotive project and I am leaning toward doing an EV conversion for a full size 4-door 4 wheel drive pickup.

Once built, the plan it to make it my daily driver to/from work and for errands around town. Once I have the kinks out and feel confident, I'll take to to the ranch and park it there. I feel like an EV is a great solution for a ranch vehicle as I won't have to worry about keeping the gasoline and engine fluids fresh.

As far as the year/make/model of the base vehicle goes, I'm fairly open. I've been scouring Craigslist for the right vehicle. Obviously I don't want to pay for a vehicle with a perfectly functioning motor when all I'm going to do it rip it out. Also, unless someone can make a case otherwise, I intend to use lead-acid cells stored in the bed of the truck as a power plant.

I am familiar and comfortable with all things automotive and mechanical. I've done a block-up gasoline engine rebuild and used the vehicle as my daily driver for >60,000 miles. I'm also very comfortable with electricity and E&M. I was a physics major for a few years in college and have studied it extensively. Unforunately, I have zero fabrication experience. I know a few guys who are welders and am hoping that when I need that type of work done I can delegate it or hire it out.

Other than that, I'm on step one / day one of this project. Anyone done a conversion of this nature that has some best practices to share?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd look for a good runner, you can always sell on the good motor and other parts. And if the owner didnt take care of the motor...check the rest of the truck. But that said you can find a ton of 2003+ Ford F250/350's with blown head gaskets and other items wrong with the motor. I'd look for a 6speed manual to make things easy.

A full size pickup you can fit the batts under the bed. So a tilt bed would be a plus if you can find one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts