Nissan note e-power

Roughly How much power alternator will I need charge the battery and drive

What I have now.
3000lb car
330 V. Rated 47kw motor
1kwh 120v battery 馃攱
-Planning to get a Prius inverter

Registered
If I understand this correctly, your plan is to build a series hybrid with a small battery (not for plug-in charging). Because the battery is small, the engine and generator needs to keep up with any demand which is sustained for more than a few seconds - that means that if you want to be able to use the full power of the motor without restriction you need an engine and generator producing similar power, and if you want to be able to climb an extended grade you need an engine and generator producing whatever amount of power that takes.

Although Nissan does this and it certainly works, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. With all of the cost and complication of a plug-in series hybrid other than a smaller battery, it gives up the ability to plug in for only the cost and weight saving of the smaller battery.

The Prius inverter includes a voltage doubler. If you only have a 120 V battery, you will not get 330 V out of it so you won't be able to use the full capability of the motor. Why not use a Prius battery?

I guess this might make more sense if I understood what you're trying to achieve, and how that is different from what you would get by just buying a used Prius.

Registered
Nissan e-powers occasionally show up on Japanese wrecking sites for export (they are already 4 years old)

import one as non-functional parts only or as a vehicle half and repower a small vehicle of your choiceusing the the OEM components

If you already have an inop NA Note integration time should be reduced

The epower note is a tad faster in the city than a Prius C but it is also about 20% less efficient.

it being even this efficient is due to thegenerator being integrated inside the AC motor all built into a unitized stack so control and switching losses are much lower than an alternator. Nissan epower is the closest to a true direct interaction electric field differential transmission (ECVT) as it isn鈥檛 spread out into separate motor and generator sections on a planetary

as a repower I鈥檓 sure a Chinese $49 lithium charger could top off the note battery for a 3-6 mile plug in range if you want something useful.

would be interesting seeing the things we can鈥檛 have brought over.

Registered
... it being even this efficient is due to the generator being integrated inside the AC motor all built into a unitized stack so control and switching losses are much lower than an alternator. Nissan epower is the closest to a true direct interaction electric field differential transmission (ECVT) as it isn鈥檛 spread out into separate motor and generator sections on a planetary
I don't know where you got this idea, but it's not true. The e-Power system has a separate generator (with controller) and motor (with inverter), just like every other series hybrid. They're all mounted together in one case, along with the differential and the gears to connect everything, but the power flow is completely conventional: engine drives generator (via helical parallel gears), generator output is rectified and regulated by controller, battery accepts excess power or provides additional power, inverter converts to AC, motor drives differential which drives axles.

While it would be interesting to build a machine with coaxial rotors for mechanical input and output, interacting magnetically and controlled electrically, this doesn't exist... or at least it certainly does not exist in a Nissan.

Nissan's e-Power is functionally identical and physically configured similarly to Mitsubishi's Outlander PHEV and Honda's Accord Hybrid, except that the Mitsubishi and Honda systems include a clutch to mechanically bypass the generator-motor system for better efficiency when speeds and loads are suitable. The Mitsubishi also has a rear electric drive unit for AWD (and 4-wheel regenerative braking), but e-Power has that available now, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.