DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

So far the only experience I have is with brushed motors but recently I have been eyeing the ME1507 from Motenergy:
http://motenergy.com/mepmbrmo.html

However, I am undecided on what I would do about the controller. I would like a controller rated for 96-120V (the motor can supposedly handle up to 144V as long as rotor speed does not exceed 8krpm) and at least 150A continuous.
I emailed Motenergy in regards to what controllers could be used with it and they said that the best choice would probably be a Sevcon Gen4 or possibly a Kelly controller.

Unfortunately I have read that the Sevcon can be very tricky to program, especially for someone without experience. On the other hand, I have read mixed feedback about Kelly controller quality, and I do not know if they are any easier to program.

I am curious if there any other (affordable) controllers that would be good to start off with so I do not get in over my head and potentially ruin a brand new controller. Or if there are at least any good base parameters to set the controllers to before attempting to match them to the motor from scratch.

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi Matej,

I'm in a similar position – trying to find an easily programmable, and hopefully reliable controller for a Motenergy ME1616. The Kelly and Sevcon controllers are the only ones I can find that accept encoder signals from these motors.

According to the Curtis datasheet for their 1239E controller a "software upgrade allows use with surface permanent magnet synchronous motors". This implies to me that IPM motors (internal permanent magnet) motors like the ME1507 and ME1616 aren't supported, but I've not verified this yet.

The consensus seems to be that Kelly controllers are relatively easy to set up, but if you do decide to use one, choose one with twice the current rating that you actually need, and use a separate DC/DC just for the controller supply.

If anyone knows of any suitable alternative controllers I would really like to hear about them

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Did you guys get going? I have files for the ME1616/1507 that work with the Sevcon (and also have Sevcon controllers available as well). The hard stuff is mostly done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts