DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed some strange behaviour when uploading photos.

The first photo displays as a thumbnail and the second as an attachment. Both photos were taken on an iPhone within a few seconds of one another and they have the jpeg extension according to inspector on my Mac. One thing I do see that is different is that the second file is changed to a jpg extension when uploaded to the forum (see attached images).

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Interestingly you're also rotating IMG_8845 90 degrees when you display it.... here's a screen grab of the original photo as a .png and I see the same issue on user poprock's posts (see example here) :confused:

One thought... is the attachment issue due to file size? The original IMG_8844 image is 2.5 MB on my computer (reduced to 1.98 MB according to the forum image uploader)

Attachments

·
Administrator
368 Posts
This happens because the forum software is unable to read the EXIF data that is imprinted on the photo when you take it.

The EXIF data holds a lot of information, which includes orientation of your photo. Many programs are able to read this, and that is why you see it displayed upright in some places, but many others still are not.

This is a good article that explains all of this: https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

Ed

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This happens because the forum software is unable to read the EXIF data that is imprinted on the photo when you take it.
Sorry but I don't think that's the issue... the two photos I posted were taken 12 seconds apart using the same iPhone... the EXIF data looks identical to me (see below) :confused:

Attachments

·
Administrator
368 Posts
Sorry but I don't think that's the issue... the two photos I posted were taken 12 seconds apart using the same iPhone... the EXIF data looks identical to me (see below) :confused:
hmmmmm... did you rotate your phone when taking these images?
iphones recalibrate the image to match how you're holding and viewing the image but that information doesn't transfer when uploaded to the computer.

Lee

·
Administrator
368 Posts
Are you using your phone to upload the images or do you add it to your desktop and then upload the images?

Thank you,

~ Glenda

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mac reads and orients based on IOS exif data, you need to use a separate editor to rotate for this
I don't understand... the two photos I posted were taken 12 seconds apart using the same iPhone with the same orientation... the EXIF data for the images is identical when viewed on the Mac (see images above). If you understand why this is happening can you please post an explanation? I'm really bored of uploading and then deleting photo's :(

·
Administrator
368 Posts
Hey there,

I know this is a rather late response - we apologize for missing this thread and not replying sooner. To explain this more in detail, this happens because the forum software is unable to read the EXIF data that is imprinted on the photo when you take it.

The EXIF data holds a lot of information, which includes orientation of your photo. Many programs are able to read this, and that is why you see it displayed upright in some places, but many others still are not.

This is a good article that explains all of this:*https://www.howtogeek.com/254830/why-your-photos-dont-always-appear-correctly-rotated/

The gist of it is, the phones are designed to work like a digital camera. Holding your digital camera flat, in landscape, is the 'base line'. Developers used this 'base line' in the following way for mobile devices:
Apple users: hold your phone with your VOLUME buttons DOWN.
Android users: hold your phone with your HOME button to the RIGHT.

It's completely against common sense, since the volume button is used as a shutter button, so you would think the volume button should point UP! But that is how developers worked it out, so when you hold your phone upright, in portrait, it is the same as turning your digital camera 90 degrees to the side, to take a portrait photo. Since the forum cannot read the data that tells it which way you are holding your phone, it displays plainly from the 'base line' - whichever side your volume buttons are on will be the bottom of your photo (so if you take a photo with your volume buttons facing UP on your phone, the photo will display upside down when you upload it here).

There is not currently any plugins or hacks that we've come across that can allow the forum to read the EXIF data at this time.*

The only way around it is, either hold your phones the way the developers decided you should, OR you can open the photos in an Editing program (not the viewer), and save them in the correct orientation (you might need to rename them, and crop off a pixel or two, to make sure a change is recognized).*

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have further questions!

Cheers,
Nate

1 - 20 of 27 Posts