DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to drive a Taxi. The vehicle of choice was the "Standard Sedan," carried six adults comfortably, big trunk for vacation luggage, big windows for good visibility, Two could "Sleep" in the back seat. millions available for parts or conversion. Taxi companies and Police agencies preferred them over everything else. very survivable in a crash, relatively slick "Aerodynamic" shape, strong chassis design, not unibody, large open engine bay perfect for a couple of battery boxes, fuel tank is trunk floor, room for a big battery box and mufflers ahead of rear axle is space for more batteries, put two 9inch motors driving a Powerglide racing transmission with no torque converter to a 9 inch ford racing rear differential all in the transmission and drive shaft hump, Use a Zilla series/parallel switching controller and 288 volt PbA battery pack. heavier springs readily available, ride like a limousine, almost as much room as a van inside for "Creature Comfort" and do it all for $25,000 ?

· Registered
778 Posts
Dennis
No one would say you can't convert a large sedan. Of course you can but it would cost more than the average conversion and to make it economically viable it would have to constantly carry multiple passengers. Nothing wrong with the idea of an Electric Taxi in my opinion.

But consider this: Drive out onto the interstate and count the first 50 cars or passenger trucks you see. Make note of how many passengers are in each vehicle. I have done this with my youngest son and we come close to 75% of vehicles have a single occupant....the driver.

The EV vs ICE comparison here would be wh/mile/passenger and gal/mile/passenger. Obviously or maybe not obviously the larger the vehicle, the more weight must be moved per passenger and thus more energy expended.

A single occupant ICE powered Cadillac Escalade is going to use more fuel per passenger than a single occupant ICE Powered Honda Civic. I think most would agree on that.

In a similar comparison a light weight single occupant EV will use less wh/mile than a heavy Ford Victoria EV with a single occupant. But both vehicles, if properly equipped for their weight, can complete the task of carrying the driver to his/her destination.

The way to increase the economies of scale for the heavier EV would be to increase the number of passengers. Then it might make economic sense. So, yes, nothing wrong with an Electric Taxi. But lots to be desired by a single occupant Hummer EV.
Just my opinion - Roy

· Registered
153 Posts
Hello
I have been thinking this kind of question too. Way i see the personal conversion is that one should convert a car that he feels comfortable with and would like to maintain for a long time. Electric motor will last for hundreds of thousands miles? If you are used to driving a big car you will not be happy with a small commuter. It might also be harder to set mind in repairing a little car intended for ten years of usage, than top of the line vehicle costing 100 000 and being of heirloom quality. It does cost more and it will be more expensive to drive but you are still doing better that ice drivers around you.In Finland i can buy electricity that is made from wind or water (or nuclear:() so i dont have to feel bad if not saving energy in all aspects of my life.
So please convert the biggest car you can afford and make your own electricity or buy green.It is your money, after all.
Of course, if you get by with small car that is your vehicle then.You will have more money to be spent on other stuff:)!

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the positive response. Yes i often carry 2 or three other people with me. and i will have to invest a bit more in the conversion with twin motors and a big "Zilla" and more battery hence th double size pack at 288 Volts and good performance, not for racing...But it will be cheaper than driving an "Escalate" with no more Depreciation on an older conversion and a long lived drive train and good replacement parts availability, I feel I am not being "Short-sighted," just I am not a single commuter all the time. and this is an "Electric Limo." for the Director of an EV related Corporation.

· Registered
5,007 Posts
I think the only problem here is cost. But if you can afford it, I agree it would make an excellent car and would be a great vehicle to show off. Not just electric, but also roomy and comfortable.

Are you thinking of a ford crown vic?

If I were to design an EV from the ground up, the idea of a fullsize car is tempting.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, David 85,
I am considering a Ford Crown Victoria.
As the Director of "Electric Vehicle Technical Institute Inc." I am of necessity going to drive a Display EV !

I want to be able to carry five adults without tying two to the front fenders like dead deer. LOL :)-)) Twin motors and a hot Zilla with a 288 V. pack should make it perform well.

Attention to detail on the light gold exterior paint, and light tan interior, and white under hood and trunk. a box under the trunk floor and more batteries in the under hood space. and all that white paint makes it feel bigger.

The only part I am having trouble with is I want it to be a CONVERTABLE So I can use it in regional parades!

Aaahhh the stuff dreams are made out of.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
You start with a heavy car and stuff it with lead to make it even heavier, since you are spending so much money anyway it would be a crime not to use LFP batteries in this ambitious project. With proper weight planning you may be able to use single 11" motor and single controller like Soliton1 and save the money for batteries.

· Registered
5,007 Posts
I don't think a convertable crown victoria exists. It might be possible to build one custom, but supporting the rear doors off the chopped B pillar would make it very difficult to pull off. The car has a chassis to back the body, so that helps, but loosing the roof will still weaken the structure of the car. Convertables are typically fairly heavy for their size because of how hard it is to make them strong while not having the roof beams to complete the shell.

Most convertable fullsize cars are 2 door because of the B pillar dilema. The loncoln continental mark 5 being the notable exception with its rear suicide opening doors that avoid the problem completely (I think it was the mark 5???).

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
OK, I can roll with that, as I originally stated," As the Director of "Electric Vehicle Technical Institute Inc." I am of necessity going to drive a Display EV !

I want to be able to carry five adults without tying two to the front fenders like dead deer. LOL :)-)) Twin motors and a hot Zilla with a 288 V. pack should make it perform well.

Attention to detail on the light gold exterior paint, and light tan interior, and white under hood and trunk. a box under the trunk floor and more batteries in the under hood space. and all that white paint makes it feel bigger."

Alternatively, A well done VW van out of the 1960's or a 1955 Cadillac rag top, (My brother restored one in the mid 70's but it has been sold long ago.)

I am basicly seeking a "COOL" looking 5 passenger, daily driver ( 40 mile range) That will work as a "Display" to attract more attention to my EV School, And thus aid student recruitment. Heck, even a Pre WW2 Woodie station wagon (Like the Beach Boys Sang About, ) I'm sure my project car is out there somewhere.

· Registered
5,007 Posts
I'd be tempted to look for a police interceptor. They should have some extras like heavier suspension. Although depending on where you get it, the car could be badly worn out already. Shop around as always, I guess.

I agree, the continental is a beatiful car. They made such nice cars back in the 60s. All the great legends were born back then, mustang (LOVE the mach 1!!!!), camero, charger, oooh the horrible mileage too LOL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.