DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Old Memory Chip

782 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Coulomb
Some new old stock. Found this in my old O-Scope stuff. Very interesting creature. Its erased via UV light before being programmed.

http://www.jrok.com/datasheet/TMS2516.pdf

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,970 Posts
In the mid-80's i reprogrammed Bosch Motronic engine controllers (changed redline and ignition/injection timing) using the 2716...2764 eproms that are nearly identical to your chip, just a few pins different. The window was covered with a small label to block accidental exposure to UV, e.g. sunlight.

That chip gives you a nice visual of Moore's Law in action...

· Registered
280 Posts
Brings back a lot of memories! in the late 70's and into the mid 80's I worked making video games - both coin-op and home console (Atari 2600).

I remember we were real excited about the 2532, a whole 4k bytes in a single chip! Wow! what a space saver in the board layout, and we could go crazy with the software with all that space.. :)

· Registered
1,158 Posts
Brings back a lot of memories! in the late 70's and into the mid 80's I worked making video games - both coin-op and home console (Atari 2600).
Yes, I was involved in repairing them, and even converted one game (Frogger) from one hardware platform to another (Scrambler hardware).

I remember we were real excited about the 2532...
I remember how the 25XX series were such a blessing compared to the triple-supply (+/- 5 V and +12 V?) 2708 (and only 1 kiB). Plus I think it needed 23 V or some such for programming.

Also the germicidal tube (like a fluoro tube, but no phosphor and made of quartz instead of glass) that I used to erase several EPROMs at once. I put it in a wooden box with a hinged side; you had to protect your eyes from the UV light. But the UV did strange things to the wood, making it smell strange. It seemed to hold together though.

You flashy young 'uns with your flashy flash memory have it so easy today! Also, get off my lawn! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.