DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi; As the title suggests I am quite happily living in the past with DC forklift motors and AGM. At the risk of banishment by Admin, are there any over 65 forums which are still old school technology for the computer-tech illiterate? When I joined in 2010, as a recent post said "Lithium was just a stain in someone's lab coat", and life was simpler pre Donald. I have just had my third conversion approved and do not want to be dragged into the 20th century, let alone the 21st. I am now going to convert my current (pun intended) Subaru Sherpa project into a Suzuki Mighty Boy clone by modifying the rear hatch.(The engineer was very encouraging with this idea, even suggesting to weld the tailgate, waterproof the ute compartment, and take it to barbecues filled with iced water and liquid refreshments. As long as they finished by dinosaur bedtime (7pm) that's a good idea. ). Even golf cart forums have become sophisticated , so if there are any old school sites please let me know Thanks

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi; As the title suggests I am quite happily living in the past with DC forklift motors and AGM. At the risk of banishment by Admin, are there any over 65 forums which are still old school technology for the computer-tech illiterate? When I joined in 2010, as a recent post said "Lithium was just a stain in someone's lab coat", and life was simpler pre Donald. I have just had my third conversion approved and do not want to be dragged into the 20th century, let alone the 21st. I am now going to convert my current (pun intended) Subaru Sherpa project into a Suzuki Mighty Boy clone by modifying the rear hatch.(The engineer was very encouraging with this idea, even suggesting to weld the tailgate, waterproof the ute compartment, and take it to barbecues filled with iced water and liquid refreshments. As long as they finished by dinosaur bedtime (7pm) that's a good idea. ). Even golf cart forums have become sophisticated , so if there are any old school sites please let me know Thanks
no replies as yet?

·
Administrator
6,117 Posts
I'm a mechanical engineer and not real good with electronics and software so I can sympathise

But why stick with lead? that's like refusing to use these new fangled "wheel" things

DC forklift motor and a home made controller and a LITHIUM battery and you can make a reasonable performance machine

Change the Lithium for lead and the old ladies on mobility scooters can burn you off

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a mechanical engineer and not real good with electronics and software so I can sympathise

But why stick with lead? that's like refusing to use these new fangled "wheel" things

DC forklift motor and a home made controller and a LITHIUM battery and you can make a reasonable performance machine

Change the Lithium for lead and the old ladies on mobility scooters can burn you off
Yes, that.s true.The cost is what stops me from buying lithium.
7x 80ah agm cost $1350.? 6.72 kwh?? is my purchasing power now, and yes, lithium would make a big difference for not much more, so after the agm,s die and barring death, stroke or dementia, that is the goal. Thanks for your comments, and I will work towards understanding lithium and bms's

·
Administrator
6,117 Posts
Hi
I bought Volt battery for $1800 - that is 16 kWh - and actually 16 kWh at decent currents -
with 7 x 80 Ah 12v batteries that is 6.7 kwh - but only 4 kwh at a car type discharge rate

BMS
I'm a bit of a heretic - I'm sure I have heard of more problems caused than solved by BMS!

I use a Lee Hart - Batt Bridge
http://www.evdl.org/pages/battbridge.html

This works by comparing the two halves of the battery and will tell me if a cell has died
So simple even I can understand it

When I had Chinese Lithium a few did die
The Volt cells are a whole different ball game - MUCH better

My theory is
The Batt Bridge will tell me if a cell dies
I will also go around periodically measuring the individual cells (voltage)

When I say periodically it's about twice a year as I have to do a fair amount of disassembly to get to all my cells

I'm fairly conservative with the voltage I charge to and discharge to

And that as far as being "conservative" goes - I'm discharging at up to 1200 amps and using a 300 volt (empty) to 340 volt (full) battery with my 11 inch Hitachi Forklift motor

One motor did die - but I have it's replacement in place ($150) and a spare "just in case" which cost me $200

·
Registered
786 Posts
Can't say I am totally happy living in the past concerning lead batteries but they still meet my needs.

I have had a few discussions with the battery snobs on this forum and have been called a liar when I say I have made my FLA packs last five years.

My average daily drive is 12 miles round trip.
Can squeak 30 in a pinch with out going critical.

Have managed to get my car down to 2700 pounds so with two people, me and wife, am moving around a good 3000lbs.

Yesterday was interesting though.

There is a little restaurant about seven miles out of town that we like to drive my electric X19 to.

Has some nice curves and is up and down hill.

We, had finished our pie and ice cream and drove a bit farther to a look out point.

On the way back I slowed down so my wife could take some pictures of the bluffs and next thing I look in the rear view and see six cars on my ass.

A 911, Miata, Camaro and two not stock Honda's running in a pack in that order.

I booted it and pulled away a bit.
This is a two lane curvy road with no where to pass so I am sure one or all could have passed me on a straight away if there had been a straight away but through the turns I kept a reasonable distance ahead.

After we reached the top and came into town we came behind a brand new Vett pocking along.

After a few miles of following the Vett I pulled over at my turn off to watch the cars behind me go by.

When I got home the voltage was 145.8 at 28.6 miles.

Of course it went through my mind how much better the run could have been with lithium in weight reduction alone but then again if I spent money on lithium how much lighter my bank account would be.

By over 65 forums are you referring to age?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts