DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The LFP pack on the EV I acquired is dead and I want to get some power in the pack just to make sure everything works before I start dropping any more money into this pit.

As a quick-and-dirty solution just to get things checked out I want to use a dumb FLA charger to pump some juice into the cells, enough to get the donor EV rolling under its own power to verify I'm good to go on the transplant project. Or not, as the case may be. This will be a one-shot deal. I know the FLA charger is not the proper way to deal with my LFP pack in the long term.

The battery bricks are five 12.5Ah cells paralleled into a 3.2v 62.5Ah brick. I intend to series 4 bricks at a time for charging till I get through the 40 brick pack. (I assume that a 4s10p arrangement is a bad plan because of the balancing issues with LFP.)

Any suggestions on the safest way to do this (safe for the life of the cells and safe for my shop) that is likely to be successful for this one-off charge?

As a side note - I'm wanting to do this because I believe it will take me into next year to finish charging all fourty 62.5Ah bricks using something like the reasonably priced PowerStream 2A single cell charger. Am I mistaken about this?

Harmon

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
john, solarsail

Thanks for the feedback. That's the kind of info I needed.

Of the 40 packs 36 of them were at 3.2v, three of them were at 3.0v and one was at 1.8v. None of the low ones were adjacent to another low one. I'm thinking the 1.8v guy might be gone.

I'll get a single cell LFP charger for the four low ones and do the other 36 with the FLA charger to save some time.

Harmon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.