DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
thats bloddy insane. I don't even pay that much IN TOTAL GAS COSTS gas plus gas tax.

who bloody thought 6 cents a mile was a good freaking idea?

GAS is cheaper than that.

$720 freaking dollars a year for the average driver. Over my dead body. MY cost would be $2400 a year !!! Gasoline costs me $2200 a year.

so they are saying with an electric car I would have to pay $2400 a year PLUS $816 for electricity. boy they sure want to KILL electric car's don't they.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The Oregon bill proposes to charge 0.6 cents per mile. That is $0.60 for every 100 miles.

There is a WA bill on the table that proposes to charge EVs an extra $100 per year fee on the annual registration in place of fuel taxes. Seeing how my wife drives a fuel efficient car 8800 miles a year and I drive a small 4 cylinder pickup 4600 miles per year (both average over the last 4 years), that proposal would make EV unattractive to me from a tax standpoint. And to think, they propose this while giving EV purchase a sales tax exemption!

·
Registered
44 Posts
yea but EVEN FOR YOU at 4600 miles thats only 2.17 cents per mile and for your wife 1.1 cents a mile.

thats ok. I could live with that. $100 a year is FINE with me. thats fair (as long as they CAN NOT raise it EVER)

if they run out of money CUST COSTS do not raise it.

I am ok with that.

6 cents a mile is gouging thats insanity.

remember you get a lot more from the roads than just your 4600 and her 8800 miles.

also this needs to be PER LICENSE not PER CAR.

remember with oregon's bill you would pay $276 and your wife would pay $528

OUCH

thats just out and out greedy.

right now YOU are paying about $69 a year in "fuel tax" and your wife is paying about $88.

The average person getting 20mpg driving 12,000 miles a year would pay $180 in fuel tax (its 30cents a gallon BTW) in oregon they would have to pay $720 a year !!!!

so $100 is a good deal. I would not mind that.

6 cents a mile is just insanity. I drive a Geo Metro at 52mpg average. my cost RIGHT NOW per mile with the full price of gasoline is only 5.55 cents per mile including the price of gasoline !!! (right now its $2.89 a gallon)

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I remember correctly Oregon has been talking about this for a while. The state even put a gps on a few cars to compare road usage of high mpg cars vs low mpg cars and the amount of gas tax each generated. Gotta love it since Oregon likes to see itself as being 'very progressive'.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
That's fair!? A flat consumption tax is a disincentive to conservation. Washington gasoline taxes are 37.5 cents per gallon. A Prius costs about 3/4 of one cent per mile in fuel taxes. The tax bill is lower for me to burn gasoline. The current EV market is aimed urban buyers with low annual mileage who would otherwise be in the market for fuel efficient compact cars and/or hybrids. The proposal would make EVs more costly in "fuel taxes" than the alternatives.

I drive my EV buggy about 1000 miles a year. An extra 10 cents per mile or just swap it back to gasoline? It's not like it has a smog test to pass.

The Oregon tax proposal is NOT 6 cents per mile, it is 6/10 of a cent per mile. That is 10x less! The bill is Oregon HB 2328. I would be paying $27.60 and my wife $52.80 and the Buggy would be about $6 a year for a total of less than $100 between 3 vehicles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
ahhhhh OK thats totally different. my bad

I read .06 (which is how I would write 6 cents)

but yeah 6/10ths of a cent is MUCH MUCH more fair !! I would only pay $24 a year THAT I would be ok with :) as long as it did not mandate GPS tracking :)

my bad

·
Registered
124 Posts
How do they know you are driving an EV?

Would you have to register it, or risk being stopped and fined?

In my state one has ever asked me if I had an electric motor propelling my car, and I feel better not advertising it.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

In my state one has ever asked me if I had an electric motor propelling my car, and I feel better not advertising it.
Real simple, every year when you renew you car tags and registration

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK neither of you has confirmed or invalidated the point.

.06 means 6 CENTS PER MILE until I see Clarification otherwise.

a lot of people know $.06 is 6 cents so they will PUT cents after that even though its actually making it 6 TENTHS of a cent.

SO I anyone in oregon should be asking for clarification.

6 pennies per 1 mile

or

6 pennies per 100 miles

that QUOTE you provided from the law says 6 pennies per 100 miles but those people are usually morons so clarification would be REALLY nice :)

ahh ok sunking below appears to comfirm its 6 pennies per 100 miles.

I did my math wrong too that is STILL a ton of money!! $240 is what my bill would be NOT $24

thats more than I am paying right now in road tax on gasoline per year. thats a pretty raw deal still.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
An excerpt from the bill:

...section, the registered owner of an electric motor vehicle or plug-in hybrid electric motor vehicle shall pay a vehicle road usage charge.
(2) A lessee of an electric motor vehicle or plug-in hybrid electric motor vehicle shall pay a vehicle road usage charge.
(3) A person subject to the vehicle road usage charge shall pay 0.6 cents per mile for metered use of the highways in Oregon.
Thanks for the bill number EVfun.
Edit: Whoops, didn't see you posted it! Myself I think they ought to go by weight as well as miles, since a gas tax captures both of these. Maybe 3 weight classes corresponding to compact, mid-size, and full size cars, and scale it to be about the same as an owner of an ice vehicle would pay in gas tax, or maybe a bit less to give incentive for ev purchases.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
OK neither of you has confirmed or invalidated the point.

.06 means 6 CENTS PER MILE until I see Clarification otherwise.
Where are you getting $.06? The house bill states an amount 0.6 cents, no dollar sign in sight. If you change from cents to dollars it would be 60 cents a mile! Even politicians are not that dumb. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am getting it .06 from the other posts in this thread. the quote was not till just a few minutes ago.

$.06 I got from no where it was just an example to show the difference.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Well, it remains to be seen how that is addressed, but when money is involved Washington state will get around to addressing it. The Oregon proposal contains a bit about the fines for non-compliance but I haven't seen that in the WA proposal yet.

For cars less than 25 years old they will fail a smog inspection if the owner lives in one of the urban areas of the state where they are required. You cannot pass the smog test without a tailpipe and some CO2. You will have to get an inspection to change the fuel type on the title (to E, which also means no smog checks.)

For years lots of people in WA would register their cars to friends addresses to avoid smog and the state didn't bother to do anything about it. Later, an RTA (Rapid Transit Authority) tax was added to registration for people living in the Seattle area. Now people where dodging that with out of area registration and it was noticed by the folks in the capitol. The law was changed to require registration where a vehicle is primarily used and penalties assigned for non-compliance. If the EV tax law is written without penalties for not changing the fuel type then EV made from older cars, or by people living outside of the smog testing area, can simply fly under the radar by saying nothing. But like the RTA tax, this is money in the state coffer so I bet they will get around to requiring the correct fuel type to be listed on the title if they pass some type of registration tax on EVs. Local EVers are fighting this bill in WA and it did die last year.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm not too shocked and expected it to happen. We've had the same system in place here for years, albeit a bit more expensive.

We have "Road User Charges" (road tax) here in New Zealand for all vehicle who use a non-taxed fuel, such as electricity. These Road User Charges cost $47 every 1000km (621 miles) here.

Fortunately, our current government scrapped this tax for electric vehicles until 2013 in order to encourage more of them. Though with our elections happening later this year, a change of government could re-implement the tax.

We shall see.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Wow, you must have some high gas tax in New Zealand. 7.5 cents per mile would be what a gas car getting 5 mpg pays in gas taxes in Washington state. We still only pay about $3.20 a gallon for regular gasoline (including state and federal taxes.)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts