DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my Orion BMS2. It is detecting the regeneration power when I slow down and insists that a
charger fault is occurring. I've looked through the Orion programming and I cannot see a means of telling the Orion
to accept an input from the electric motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I set the current limits at 30 amp and the BMS has determined that a charge condition has
occurred I originally thought that the current sensor was faulty because a current reading of 65 amps was detected
but, I only have a 3.3 kw charger so, I knew something was wrong. I am registering a code POA06 indicating a charge
enforcement fault . My concern is that the fault prevents the controller from interfacing with the BMS.I have contacted
Ewert Energy Systems about my problem but, all they have to say is that I need to worry about an overcharge
condition if regeneration happens and that the batteries could get overcharged. How could that happen? the car
consumes more power than regeneration could produce.
Thanks, John T

·
Registered
94 Posts
Firstly, what is your setup (pack voltage, motor etc.)?

Does this happen when the car is stationary and being charged by your charger? Or does this happen when you are driving and use regenerative braking? Is it subcode 1 or 2?

Assuming this happens when charging, then there are a few things to check. What is your pack voltage? Because if your mains AC is 110V and your charger delivers 3.3kw, that's 30A being drawn from the mains but if your pack voltage is lower than 110V the current going from charger to pack will be greater than 30A.

Make sure you have read the Orion DTC POA06 pdf (available online)! Have you got your current sensor the right way round?

Before you plug in the charger, check the Charge Current Limit in the live text tab. That will tell you the max amount of current the BMS will accept according to the settings you have set and how it measures the state of the system at that time.

Can you post a screenshot of the Charge Limits tab?

To Ewert's point, they are just saying your battery pack will have limits on how much current it can accept and you need to be mindful of that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Firstly, what is your setup (pack voltage, motor etc.)?

Does this happen when the car is stationary and being charged by your charger? Or does this happen when you are driving and use regenerative braking? Is it subcode 1 or 2?

Assuming this happens when charging, then there are a few things to check. What is your pack voltage? Because if your mains AC is 110V and your charger delivers 3.3kw, that's 30A being drawn from the mains but if your pack voltage is lower than 110V the current going from charger to pack will be greater than 30A.

Make sure you have read the Orion DTC POA06 pdf (available online)! Have you got your current sensor the right way round?

Before you plug in the charger, check the Charge Current Limit in the live text tab. That will tell you the max amount of current the BMS will accept according to the settings you have set and how it measures the state of the system at that time.

Can you post a screenshot of the Charge Limits tab?

To Ewert's point, they are just saying your battery pack will have limits on how much current it can accept and you need to be mindful of that.
Hello: I am running 48-3.2 volt lithium 271Ah batteries . It is considered as 144 volt system and I am using an HPEVS
AC51 motor. The fault was appearing while driving the car . I increased charge current limit and the code has not
returned after a 100 mile drive The current sensor is installed correctly as it registers a negative a current while charging . I disabled the high voltage isolation in the BMS as directed by Brian from HPEVS because Brian told me
it conflicts with Orion controller, which has the same isolation circuitry installed. I am puzzled because although
there are no codes present now in the controller or the BMS, the controller spyglass shows SOC 94% no matter
what the battery charge is

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, sounds like you are up and running OK ...

I think the ACX1 is very particular about the CAN message format it needs to accept SOC from the Orion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts