DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys new to the forums and this is my first post, so bear with me.

I don't own a EV but I am looking into operating a EPS in my 25 year old Toyota seeing how it was done in Japan:

It runs an unknown Toyota pump in their "eco" AE86 which is what I'm trying to mimic on the other side of the Pacific. From the image it looks like it's either a Prius system or a Yaris system (with the ECU visible on the 1st picture up the column)

Since the AE86 itself does not have CANBUS or OBD2 I am wondering if the unit is operating without a known signal from the ECU?

From the Yaris wiring diagram there's the 12V power wire (60A) and then there's IGN power wire, speedometer signal (from gauge cluster) but the most worrying part is the CANBUS connection.

I also own a 2010 Nissan Cube but if I turn the key to ON without starting the engine the EPS on it does not assist my steering in anyway, knowing that the engine is not running.

But there has to be someway to trick the ECU into thinking my car is running....? I need to fake a canbus signal somehow?

And to further complicate the problem, the car I drive now has an oh so environmentally friendly LEV S2000 motor and control unit in it, since the S2000 itself also comes with a EPS, I'm starting to wonder what will happen if I tap the signal from the EPS ECU to the main engine ECM? the CANBUS is just 2 wires of H and L right? How likely is it that I can just "steal" the RPM signal from the system and let the EPS ECU understand that the engine is now running (if the EPS is designed to not assist at 0RPM)

If not, is there anyway to fake a Toyota RPM signal into the thing?

Help is much appreciated, I have already shoved a Yaris EPS into the Corolla and it fits like a dream - but I don't know if it's going to work at all....

·
Registered
3 Posts
no takers? I thought someone would have tried fitting this compact EPS system onto their car already?

The whole system costs under $200 at your local junkyard and if this works without CAN signal or if we can simulate CAN signal this would be beneficial to everyone building a EV I think?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts