DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The nice thing about the MR2 pump is you use stock steering components which retain the proper steering geometry. It is never as simple as just swapping in an electric rack, etc...
Also, I think it's rather hard to get it typed in Europe due to very strict safety and environmental laws. The general rule is that you can't change one single bit on a car, for example it's literally impossible to change engine in a car if you don't get a perfect match due to environmental laws. However replacing it with an electric motor is allowed (since it's an obvious environmental bonus) but only if the power isn't more than +20%, the torque isn't more than +10% and the weight per axis and total isn't exceeded. That last rule plus the climate in Sweden has actually more or less made me decide to skip lead, collect some more money and go LiFePO4 instead.

But I digress, what I was coming to is that changing the steering column probably will take some care to get street legal, if it's even possible to change from original column at all. I already know you can't replace for example a power steering with a non power steering even if the model comes with both, if the car's typed with power steering it has to have power steering, period. That's why I think that replacing the steering column might also be totally out of the question in Europe.

Unless, of course, you rebuild your car so much that it's considered a custom made car rather than a modified car. Then there's a complete different set of laws and rules to comply and they give much more head room for mad ideas...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts