DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some might be aware I have written code to create my own BMS system.
I have also created some boards. The way the code is built will now allow me to substitute how the cell voltages and temps get read in, and then from that point it will all be identical.

Current BMS boards supported: Tesla (6s and 15s) and now Mitsubishi Outlander.

Future boards: VW GTE

Github
https://github.com/tomdebree/OutlanderPHEVBMS

Currently balancing is not implemented, but will be soon.

Anyone have a relatively common BMS slave boards laying around they want me to have a crack at?

Please remember this is an Open Source project, shared to increase the common knowledge. This should always be used at own risk.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This code is for the outlander modules specifically.

I do not have a Imiev bmu to confirm the findings I have for those.
But i do have the canbus data so writing up a change to my software to accept the Imiev CMUs instead of the Outlander ones is possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
12V and canbus is the only thing that is required. Will add to wiring diagram.

Yes there are setups running with these boards for quite some time now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
12V and canbus is the only thing that is required. Will add to wiring diagram.

Yes there are setups running with these boards for quite some time now.
Will you post updated wiring here or in sale-thread? Do you know what connector Mitsubishi use for their side of the BMS?

Where can I buy the current sensor you specifying in your wiring diagram? DHAB S/161

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum so please be kind with me.

I own an Outlander PHEV and I was wondering if I could use this BMS to replace the car's BMS?

Or if this BMS can coexist with the car BMS?

Thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can you please explain what you are trying to achieve?

Replace the BMS of the car, which I don't think works very well, with something better and logical.

It is not clear to me if this BMS can be used as a replacement or does it have to live together with the existing BMS in the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. I thought I did reply before, but it looks like it didn't go through.

I would like to replace the BMS of the Outlander with an open source version of it.

Is that possible with your BMS?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is possible.

However I do not have all the can messages that would be shared with the car.

This is a lot of work, and there must be a really good reason for wanting to do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I wanted to use a different battery system in the future or increase the capacity of the existing one, it would be great to be able to have an open source BMS.

I could help by sniffing the messages in the can bus. I have an OBD adaptor with a bluetooth connection. I could use an app in my android phone or some software in my windows notebook to capture the messages while I'm driving if you're interested.

I'd need some guidance on what software/app to use to capture the data.

·
Registered
248 Posts
What do the wires on pin 2 and 6 do ?
I noticed they interconnect/loop each module but what does this wire carry for signal ?

·
Registered
565 Posts
If only we knew...
there is also one module that gets another twisted pair to it.

might be that all modules get mounted with id=0
and through the one module and the daisy chained wire they get programmed they're new id.
But maybe it's just a fault line or something like that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The last module has indeed an extra pair of CANbus wiring connected to it. They are connnected to the same CANbus termination block.
Maybe these pins 3 and 5 just carry a 120R inside the CMU for closing the CANbus ?

Nobody looked at the signal of the looping wire ? Maybe it is triggered when any module is shunting/balancing or having over-under voltage flag set ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts