DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a suggestion for a page in the wiki. This page would be a list of all parts that could be used in a conversion. The parts can have simple explanations of their application, and how they work etc. etc.

I would find it very useful to have this information available all in one place. Things like "shunt", "pot box" and "contactor" (to name a random few) can be explained briefly in this section for beginners with next to no knowledge of what they do, where they are applied etc. This page (or even section) would be like a small EV-related encyclopedia/dictionary, with definitions and explanations of the individual parts.

I'm sure I've missed something out here, but please tell me what you think.

· Registered
236 Posts
I 100% agree, it takes a lot of research to find this stuff out and even then, you can't find it all. I personally would love to build an EV, but I can't because I do not know every detail that goes into it. I don't want to start a project of this magnitude without knowing how much money it will cost to the penny. Having a list of parts that are needed in detail would be really helpful.

· Registered
4,005 Posts
I didn't realize we didn't have something like that. It shouldn't be too tough to put together. I guess part of the problem might be the difficulty in deciding what to put on what list. We'd need a list of required components, conditionally required components, recommended components, and optional components. We'd also need all the same lists for tools.

You'll never calculate your costs to the penny before completing it, but you don't need to. It's not difficult to account for all the major components and leave some discretionary budget for all the little things.

· Registered
236 Posts
I would like to come as close as possible, because then I can choose from different options. I would like to also suggest that with each part, there is a list for the price range. Also, maybe there could be a list of specific parts as to which vehicle they fit to best. Like I read a lot for example, the WarP Impulse is for small cars, but the WarP 13 is for trucks.

· Registered
4,005 Posts
Still need to add typical price ranges and more links for the rest to description/info, along with whatever items we've overlooked. I know somewhere I had a pretty comprehensive list of stuff but can't find it at the moment.

We also need to do the tool list, oh, and link the main wiki page to this list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.