DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you looked into what parts are required in order to activate a supercharger?

I am sure supercharger activation is heavily integrated into the Tesla vehicle systems. I wouldn't be surprised if the telecommunications systems are included in that. Probably the entire HVIL system too.

With all of these wrecked Teslas being sold, its only a matter of time until someone tries to integrate all of the parts into their EV in order to supercharge. ;)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Have any of you looked into what parts are required in order to activate a supercharger?
Legal indemnity insurance for when Tesla come after you ;)

The challenges are not technical (we probably know enough already to implement Supercharging) but legal... some discussion in this thread;

Tesla supercharger

·
Registered
288 Posts
Long story made short:

So far as I know the supercharger network uses single wire CAN at 33.3k speed and sends the VIN number of the Tesla. It, in theory, uses a protocol otherwise pretty similar to CHAdeMO. That's all I know, I've just heard rumblings. I have no captures myself. Though, if anyone wants to send me some I'll look at them and tell everyone what the protocol is.

So, you need the super charger plug, you need a battery that can handle the blast, and you need something that can speak single wire CAN. You'd need some contactors too.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Legal indemnity insurance for when Tesla come after you ;)

The challenges are not technical (we probably know enough already to implement Supercharging) but legal... some discussion in this thread;

Tesla supercharger
Not just legal, but also ethical. There is nothing wrong with, say, reverse engineering a charger you pulled from a junkyard. But stealing their charging resources is unambiguously wrong.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would gladly pay for supercharging in my conversion.
Using a tesla p85 battery and all the other stuff in the loop from the same car would make the conversion able to accept the power of the supercharger.

But I guess it would be almost impossible to get an account so that Tesla can charge me for the SuperCharging......

Maybe I will try to contact them.....

Regards
/Per

1 - 5 of 5 Posts