DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I did not want to try to pollute the thread that’s already there about some basic questions on the Paul and Sabrina controller, so if y’all don’t mind I started a new thread to ask some basic questions on the 500 amp version.

As you might or might not know, I’m doing a VW Buggy conversion with a big 10 inch sepex forklift motor. The system voltage is 48V. The field is ran off a separate voltage regulator and is excited right before the armature current is applied.

My questions are...

Can someone give me the basic setting for the controller? I just need the bare basics. I think I might have changed a few setting to where things are running alitttel erratic... for starters it seems the cart is too jumpy when I apply the gas. I can’t seem to get it to start smoothly...
I just need some “factory default” settings if you would that is just general for making things work on a basic level...can someone please help me with this?

Also it seems that being this a big sepex motor the motor voltage at times exceeds the pack voltage and somehow the how controller just shuts down when this condition occurs. My only answer is a big high current blocking diode, which I will try this afternoon. But does anyone else have any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this??

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Paul is semi available to answer emails.

Your motor is a sepex, so anytime the stator spins the powered field can provide a generator effect and produce voltage. Unpower the field and it will stop generating voltage

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well.. the blocking diode actually did work quiet well.. just don’t like the .7v drop and loss.. now I have an issue with the regulator for the field. The field needs at least 70V or more but the pack voltage is 48V. This boost regulator has been a constant headache so I got a couple more 12V batteries and a 24V to 110v power inverter. And put the output to a bridge to power the field now....

Next big move is to take this 9inch GE Motor and this Kaylor adaptor plate and remove this sepex motor...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could work at 48 but that to low of flux for the motor to have any good torque...
I have not done regen yet...
Thinking of switching over to my 9 inch GE I just bought

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
It could work at 48 but that to low of flux for the motor to have any good torque...
I have not done regen yet...
Thinking of switching over to my 9 inch GE I just bought
So with the 9" GE you have the Series DC which uses the full voltage of the pack. Easy enough. Great Torque. But now for the voltage of your pack. 120 volts or better is in order. But if you go to 144 and up you will need to figure out how to advance the brushes like they do with the Warp9 motors to counter any arching at high voltages. 48 volts will work but your motor will crap out at a much lower rpm that you may like. The motor reaches the BEMF much sooner with low voltage but will allow the motor to last much longer. You might get away with a solid 120 volts in the buggy and be real happy with that. If you want torque for the Sep-Ex motor you need to run the field at the same voltage as your pack. If you run 96 volts it should be just fine but again the top rpm will be limited by voltage. Remember voltage will increase the RPM range and also the torque curve accordingly. If you can get your voltage up to keep the rpm up and torque up to lets say 4500 rpm then you will be using your VW's transmission in the same range as your VW engine. It will utilize the gearing properly.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No onegreenev I do NOT want to increase my pack voltage. This is something of a “glorified golf cart” in respect. This is for the woods. I do not want to go over 40 mph!
With that said the sepex motor runs EXCELLENT if the field regulator is working as it should. The issue is the regulator circuit keeps blowing out do to the fact it’s in harsh conditions. I need to build a simple inverter with a 555 timer or a multivibrator circuit.
Now you have experience with the GE 9, how will it perform on 48 T-105 batteries with a 500 amp controller???
I want lots of low end torque it’s for the woods... will the current draw drop off pretty good when reached constant speed? My sepex is excellent a dropping the current to 0 amps when costing down hill or a slight downward slope.. will the GE 9 do this to?
The GE Motor is just the typical 5BT1346B50 motor.

Thanks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts