DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the desire to not blow up expensive things, I'm not powering up Pauls board until I get all the wires perfectly straight and there things I can't find in the documentation (or maybe I am just dense, LOL). Has anyone got a proper schematic of his wiring from the board to external components?

In particular, I don't know what the USB connections are supposed to go to. Are they just temporary connections? On the resolver It says temp 1 and temp 2. I assume that is motor temp and one pin can be a ground. It then leads me to the other "external" temp pins, where they go and what thermister they attach to, is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
In the desire to not blow up expensive things, I'm not powering up Pauls board until I get all the wires perfectly straight and there things I can't find in the documentation (or maybe I am just dense, LOL). Has anyone got a proper schematic of his wiring from the board to external components?

In particular, I don't know what the USB connections are supposed to go to. Are they just temporary connections? On the resolver It says temp 1 and temp 2. I assume that is motor temp and one pin can be a ground. It then leads me to the other "external" temp pins, where they go and what thermister they attach to, is a mystery to me.
The thermistor is currently unused in the software, according to Paul. Wire it to a connector or whatever, but leave it disconnected for now. The pinout for the USB cable is on J5, pin 4 is ground, 5 is USB data - (white), 6 is USB data + (green), 7 is USB vcc (red). I can confirm that pinout as what I'm using now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thermistor is currently unused in the software, according to Paul. Wire it to a connector or whatever, but leave it disconnected for now. The pinout for the USB cable is on J5, pin 4 is ground, 5 is USB data - (white), 6 is USB data + (green), 7 is USB vcc (red). I can confirm that pinout as what I'm using now.

What I don't know is what that USB goes to? It is not the same as the temp programming pins in the middle of the board

·
Registered
325 Posts
What I don't know is what that USB goes to? It is not the same as the temp programming pins in the middle of the board
It replaces the old serial interface from his earlier boards. The USB is used to modify the software parameters with as terminal emulator such as Realterm.

The block of 15 pins that you need is labeled J5. Pins 4-7 in that block are for the USB cable. There are two such blocks of pins. The other block of 15 pins is J6, and it is used for the resolver, thermistor, etc.

Feel free to attach a picture of what you're seeing/having trouble with if that doesnt make sense.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My board is for a 2013. The set of 5 or 6 pins in the middle of the board is for programming and setting the offset angle. I don't know if the other ones on J5

are to be attached to anything and if so, what?

·
Registered
325 Posts
My board is for a 2013. The set of 5 or 6 pins in the middle of the board is for programming and setting the offset angle. I don't know if the other ones on J6 are to be attached to anything and if so, what?
Will you please take a picture of the side of your board with the connectors?

·
Registered
325 Posts
These are the best pics I have. I'n not at the shop at the moment. Note the white connector to the right which is for the computer connection. As you say, pins 4-7 on J5 go to some USB but what USB?
The smaller white connector on the right is for programming the microprocessor only. It is not used for updating the software parameters. The board should come programmed, so you would only need to use the small connector on the right if you get new software to load. You will interface with the software already on the chip over USB. The USB on J5 will connect to your PC, where you will use terminal software to change things like max motor amps or max regen. That programming port is strictly used with a PICkit for programming the chip.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The smaller white connector on the right is for programming the microprocessor only. It is not used for updating the software parameters. The board should come programmed, so you would only need to use the small connector on the right if you get new software to load. You will interface with the software already on the chip over USB. The USB on J5 will connect to your PC, where you will use terminal software to change things like max motor amps or max regen. That programming port is strictly used with a PICkit for programming the chip.

Does that make sense?

Yup. That makes sense. I couldn't find this on any of the documentation I have from Paul. Thanks sir...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yup. That makes sense. I couldn't find this on any of the documentation I have from Paul. Thanks sir...
I'm trying to get some more of that information together in an easier format for folks. I'll add something about this to my site.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm trying to get some more of that information together in an easier format for folks. I'll add something about this to my site.

Just wanted to chime in that this will be very useful to me. I am getting ready to drive a Leaf motor with a Volt controller and Paul’s brain board. I’m sure I’ll run into a few issues along the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that this will be very useful to me. I am getting ready to drive a Leaf motor with a Volt controller and Paul’s brain board. I’m sure I’ll run into a few issues along the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The volt control board may be different; I have not worked with it. That being said, it's probably very similar. Here's some info about the Leaf Control Board: http://jeffeblack.com/ps-nissan-leaf-control-board-pinout/

Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Think it really good what you are doing very clear instructions , Paul sent me to your site for the software update . Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The volt control board may be different; I have not worked with it. That being said, it's probably very similar. Here's some info about the Leaf Control Board: http://jeffeblack.com/ps-nissan-leaf-control-board-pinout/

Let me know if you have any questions.
Haha, I just clued in that you are Jeffe Black. No need for me to comment through the youboob channel.

Next question, have you figured out how to use the Leaf Dc-Dc and charger without any canbus stuff? Especially as I am using a Volt pack(s) and they don't talk.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Haha, I just clued in that you are Jeffe Black. No need for me to comment through the youboob channel.

Next question, have you figured out how to use the Leaf Dc-Dc and charger without any canbus stuff? Especially as I am using a Volt pack(s) and they don't talk.
I was hoping to go that route, since I have an extra Leaf charger, but I decided to just use a Chevy Volt charger instead. I'm using it with Tom de Bree's control board for my BMS. I doubt you'll find any OEM chargers that dont use some kind of CANBUS to enable it.

Also, it's just Jeff XD the E is an initial.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was hoping to go that route, since I have an extra Leaf charger, but I decided to just use a Chevy Volt charger instead. I'm using it with Tom de Bree's control board for my BMS. I doubt you'll find any OEM chargers that dont use some kind of CANBUS to enable it.

Also, it's just Jeff XD the E is an initial.

So you haven't found any way to use the Volt BMS at all? I have a couple of the volt battery front ends which I haven't looked closely at yet. I designed my truck to take up to 4 packs and buying an aftermarket BMS would be hugely expensive (unless there is something I haven't seen) so i have to figure out how to make the stock stuff work. It's a bit over my pay grade, I'm afraid.

Also, a 3kw charger would take forever to charge so i need to find a bigger solution.

·
Registered
325 Posts
So you haven't found any way to use the Volt BMS at all? I have a couple of the volt battery front ends which I haven't looked closely at yet. I designed my truck to take up to 4 packs and buying an aftermarket BMS would be hugely expensive (unless there is something I haven't seen) so i have to figure out how to make the stock stuff work. It's a bit over my pay grade, I'm afraid.

Also, a 3kw charger would take forever to charge so i need to find a bigger solution.
The 10Kw Tesla charger has been reverse engineered. That may be a better fit for you. You can also parallel the smaller chargers. I dont do any reverse engineering, honestly. When it comes to that stuff, I have to rely on what has already been done and figure out how I'll use it. I'm not a CANBUS wizard like some of these guys.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 10Kw Tesla charger has been reverse engineered. That may be a better fit for you. You can also parallel the smaller chargers. I dont do any reverse engineering, honestly. When it comes to that stuff, I have to rely on what has already been done and figure out how I'll use it. I'm not a CANBUS wizard like some of these guys.

I know Damien has the 10kw charger sorted but I was hoping for some sort of plug and play charger and it seems his system is still in development (sort of). Canbus is like greek to me so I will let the wizards do it.

Will the Lear chargers just talk to any Volt BMS? I see you have 2 for the Merc so I wondered how they would be connected to the other BMS you bought. Do you have links for the stuff you bought?

Sorry for so many questions.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know Damien has the 10kw charger sorted but I was hoping for some sort of plug and play charger and it seems his system is still in development (sort of). Canbus is like greek to me so I will let the wizards do it.

Will the Lear chargers just talk to any Volt BMS? I see you have 2 for the Merc so I wondered how they would be connected to the other BMS you bought. Do you have links for the stuff you bought?

Sorry for so many questions.
You may be best served with an Elcon/Tc charger or something of that nature. They can be enabled by a relay or over CAN, sothey can be pretty plug and play. ZEVA bms can send CAN commands directly to Tc chargers to set the voltage and current. Thunderstruck EV also has some chargers that can be paralleled for higher output easily. I havent tested linking the Lear chargers yet. Some wiring diagrams I found show them linked in a kind of master-slave mode that is supposed to be automatic. We'll see. I'll try to get some links going. The BMS master that I'm using is from this forum, though. It controls the Lear charger over CAN. You should look at tomdb's post in the classifieds. If you can source other bms slaves, you could potentially use those. I dont think he has balancing running on the Volt slaves, yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts