DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Somebody stop me! I'm about to invest in one of these kits for my freshly built kick scooter. Does anybody have any direct experience with this kit that they would like to share?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the scooter it would propel:

. . . probably sans-tassles. (Which were put on as a joke.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Snax, I personally run a Phoenix Cruiser motor on a 1970's Motobecane Tandem. I absolutely love it. It is very efficient. I live in a town with many hills. I weigh over 200 pounds and with two people on the bike it will still climb hills. There is a picture of it here on the EV Album: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1006 A friend of mine put one on an adult trike with batteries and controller in the a plastic tote that just fit in his rear basket. The only problem he has is spinning the front tire on take off because it is so light in the front end. I just bought the Phoenix racer laced to a 20" rim that I will be making a custom aluminum tear drop 50's style trailer with suspension as a pusher trailer for my beach cruiser bicycles or my antique Fongers Dutch bicycle. I would highly recommend this larger series of Crystalyte hub motors. I should also disclaim that I do sell them through my company EV Parts, Inc., www.evparts.com but they are not up on the site yet. They will be as soon as our new site is finished.

Roderick Wilde

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good to know about it's pulling power. I'm reluctant to dive into the Racer version for that reason, as it will likely get switched around between my scooter and mountain bike. The scooter is strictly a flat land affair, but I think I want a little more hillclimbing capability for the MTB.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
I don't know if that frame is big enough to get the job done. Don't you think you'll run out of room?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not with a custom built rack over the rear wheel and the hub motor in the front. It should still have a very reasonable low center of gravity that way, and the forward stance on the scooter should keep the front wheel adequately weighted with my 260 lbs on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one of them too, and use it to commute back and forth to work. Mine is attached to a cheap bike, but works like a dream. Plenty of power, and it pulls me (240 lb) up a 2 mile long hill at the end of the 4 mile commute back home. Also, if you're wanting to swap the motor back and forth between two frames, you might be in for a job. It's got a lot of connection-ey stuff and it's not "trivial" to do.

·
Registered
929 Posts
My neighbor has that setup. I have not talked to him, but I have seen him scooting along on a couple of occasions. His bike is definitely faster than mine. I'm jealous! :) I guess I don't have any direct experience with it, but from what I've seen, it rocks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
pretty expensive, all of those parts are on a new running e-bike and it's $300-390 with battereis.
Just go to the phoenix produce company of central and Lincoln. I bought 2 and TV 3 even came and filmed a few of us.
These are amazing bicycles with lights, horn turn signal and carrying space. I went to see them expecting junk but was so impressed I just had to buy them,
It's cash only , no warrenty but worth every penny.

Jim Stack,
PS I'll have mine at Earth Day April 19th AZ science center and our nexr Elec Auto Assoc meeting APril 26th. See you there. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
OR...you can check out the Green Hornet as a lighter weight alternative w the same power
Yes, I see them at http://www.falconev.com/E-Bikes.html but they are $800.
Yet, with the E-bike I have is $300 complete and ride it away. The Green honet looks like just the rear wheel and hub. Then you need a charger, battereis etc.

I like the A123 lithium batteries they sell. I may get some from them soon. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alas, I have opted to remain a dirty, dirty boy. Frankly, money has simply been too tight to consider an EV kit at this time, so I took the plunge into 2-stroke land 2 weeks ago with a frame mounted kit. I'll go electric at some point, but for now, at least I'm more than doubling my former fuel economy over commuting by car.

The up side is that except a new rear skin, the bike is 100% recycled from used/junk parts. Unfortunately, being a 2-stroke means that it is still dirty, smelly, and very noisy. It's still way up there on the fun factor though! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Somebody stop me!

OK stop, they don't last very long and actaully make 100 times more pollution than a hummer !

Please either peddle a bicycle or go electric. anything will help reduce pollution and stop the oil use with over 60% now imported. The future of the world is in your hands !

PS I just got some airless tires for my bicycle and feel like superman with no worry about a flat no matter what I run on ! It is the 21st century you know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Somebody stop me!

OK stop, they don't last very long and actaully make 100 times more pollution than a hummer !
You're going to have to come up with some hard evidence on that one. While I will concede that two-strokes are dirty little machines, per mile travelled, I'm consuming barely more than 1/6th the fuel.

Please either peddle a bicycle or go electric. anything will help reduce pollution and stop the oil use with over 60% now imported. The future of the world is in your hands !
I'm looking at my ethanol/castor oil options. ;)

PS I just got some airless tires for my bicycle and feel like superman with no worry about a flat no matter what I run on ! It is the 21st century you know.
What? You mean you don't get stranded on the side of the road because the city refuses to sweep the gravel out of the bike lane that is left there by the callous idiots who don't cover their loads from the yard materials supplier???

I'm going to look into that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts