DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking Your Dream Car for Conversion

So I am converting a 1984 Pontiac Fiero, well you may ask your self why? A Fiero. Well I have always wanted three cars, A Fiero, DeLorean and Lamborghini. So after a deer hit my dino drinker, I decided to tack the plunge. So your almost there, ready to take the plunge as well to convert a car from gas to electric or maybe you dino drinker is on its last legs and is going to need to be replaced soon. Well you can replace one dino drinker with another or plan ahead and take a few months to convert another dino drinker to electric just in time to replace your ailing car. A few things to keep in mind before you take that plunge are simple things like;

• If you have always wanted a certain type of car but it was always just out of your reach you can normally find one that has a blown motor or needs a lot of mechanical work in order to get to pass testing for a reasonable price.
  • A junky gas car will make a junky electric car.
  • Try to do a gas to electric conversion not restoration unless it’s your dream car.
  • If money is tight and you have the room you can stretch the conversion out even further and like everything else things (parts and pieces) will come your way, just think positive.
  • Don’t listen to the dream swishers.
  • Try to find a Haynes repair manual before you touch a nut or bolt.
  • You deserve this

So if you are going to finally put your dream in to action,

Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?​

The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?​

Make it your style, have fun and prove them all wrong. If you can build Lego and with the tech help and resources of this great DIY forum you can do it! You deserve this.

Here is a link for average used car prices http://www.domesticsale.com/autoclassified/prices.html, so if you can find a good "broken" (motor blown or other) used car for a cheap price, throw in some elbow grease and parts, you just might come out even with the cost of a "good" dino drinking car but without the gas and maint. Most conversion kits go for about $5000.00 - $8000.00.

P.S. Don’t forget to wave at all the non believers at the gas pumps

Eco Steve

1 - 2 of 2 Posts