DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Solar-powered multi-hull boat has now traveled more than 9,900 nautical miles, surpassing previous record set by solar-powered car in 2004.

More...

·
Registered
17 Posts
A truly spectacular achievement by the team of Turanor the yacht that has traveled 9000 plus miles and is still going strong. Before they are done the yacht would have traversed several thousands miles more.

PlanetSolar efforts to popularize solar panel technology and solar energy in general deserves our best wishes. Traveling such huge distances has indeed proved what they set out to do that Solar technology is advanced enough to let us use it for a variety of purposes including for transportation.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I like the slide out wings to maximize collection area while allowing easier portage.

However, it looks like the props sit only halfway into the water, which means they have terrible propwash/efficiency.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is a neat display of technology, however, there is another form of renewable boat propulsion out there. It's cheaper, very reliable and has a bit of a track record. It's called sail. And unlike this toy, it can and has been put to practical use for a while.

I wonder when sail will be put back into widespread commercial use? Seems that with the price of oil rising, it will eventually get to the point where it makes financial sense.

I do believe a sail/pv hybrid might make sense. Use lead acid batteries as ballast and have pv cells in the sails.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This is a neat display of technology, however, there is another form of renewable boat propulsion out there. It's cheaper, very reliable and has a bit of a track record. It's called sail. And unlike this toy, it can and has been put to practical use for a while.
I saw a ship with computer-controlled sails which looked like aircraft wings some 20 years ago. I wonder what happened to it?

Dawid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts