DIY Electric Car Forums banner

planing conversion on fiberfab Avenger

987 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Duncan
Hello every one,
Im looking in to a conversation for my Avenger. It is a fiberglass vw based kit car looks like a gt40. I have had the car for over 20 years and its time for an up grade.
Currently i have built a new tube frame chassis and now i looking at what i want to power it with. I was going to keep the VW trans but there is some one close to me selling an A-50 and a graziano 8.5 to 1 transaxle with a curtis 1238-7601 96v controller.
My car currently weighs in around 1500lbs so im guessing total weight after convertion would be 2000 to 2500lb maybe i can find ways to cut that down some. For range i would like at least 50 miles and to be able to drive 70 mph on the interstate.
This car looks fast so i would like it to get up and go . do you think the ac 50 would be a good choice performance wise or do i need to go to a dc motor like the warp 11 with the vw trans axle?
Thanks for your help.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Administrator
6,620 Posts
Hi
Put your location in the control panel - makes things easier

I would recommend something more powerful!

I have an 11 inch Forklift motor and direct drive - about 400hp! :D

If you do want to go modern and sophisticated how about a Nissan Leaf unit?

· Registered
4,109 Posts
I'd say go with the AC-50 and the 144volt controller. Check out HPEVS and their motor specs. A known system the does well on the VW platform. The AC-50 you mentioned I believe is on this forum for sale. It's an older unit with old software and you'd have to engineer a mounting system that will work for that gearbox since they are a matched set. I'd stick with the original transaxle setup. If you plan on daily driving the AC in my opinion is best. Weekend warrior stuff then the D.C. Is a good choice. Good bang for the buck for sure. If you go D.C. Be sure you go at least 9" for the motor size and 120 volts or better for the voltage. D.C. Is limited in its ability for high rpm. A good strong pressure plate and clutch if you plan on utilizing the transmission.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya its one of the two posted hear it came out of a wheego life so its age is some were between 2011 and now. My car is small and I know that trans axle would give me some room and weight savings not much but some.Also i like the idea of using the ac motor for reverse and get rid of that extra stuff to. I have a custom built tube frame so no mater what goes in i have to make all the mounting. Ya I was trying to find info with the ac50 and the 144 volt controller but everything I find is the ac51 . I know the ac51 was made to work with that controller but i figured some one had to have upgraded the ac50 with one. if I do DC I think I would go to at least an 11 may as well make it fast.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya not many wrecked teslas running around hear though. wonder if I could start with the one ac 50 and later add a second. dont know if I want to spend 9k on the double ac35s,but if i can get it going with the ac50 and then ad a second later in a stacked configuration instead of end to end.

· Registered
4,109 Posts
With the AC 50 in that thing I do highly suspect you will be well pleased with the performance. A dual AC 50 may be overkill for your ride. But yes. You could do dual stacked AC 50's with dual controllers. Learn how to handle the power of the single first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.