DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New to the DIY-EV space with limited mechanical knowledge/skill-set - orienting myself.

So, I had some stupid electrical issues with my current car where cost to fix aren't worth it.
I decided to look at classic cars and came across a '73 Convertible Beetle with LPG tank (~940 kg /2000 lb curb weight) that put my daily driving costs at around 3 cents - then came across existing VW-B EV conversions and want to plan towards purchasing a car for future conversion.

My daily commute to work is ~30 km (~20 miles) one way. The usual farthest I drive to visit family is ~150 km (95 miles). Additionally, 99% of the time I drive on totally flat roads with no hills (or like a 5% incline etc.). Ideally infinite range and infinite performance, but I don't know specifically what the requirements are and read a few weeks ago that major battery innovation is on the horizon. How much to spend? Depends, i'd hope to stay under 10K Euro. My plan is to keep it for a long time so costs depend on performance and lifetime of parts (ie a high performance motor which will never fail and requires no maintenance is valuable ;) ) etc.

So I have some questions;

(Since I havent purchased car yet I have options) I've read that manual is better than automatic for conversion. And, that practically I can just leave it in 3rd gear all the time. How much 'less efficient' is automatic? how much "efficiency is lost" from manual always running in 3rd gear?

I have an idea of creating a very clean interior/dashboard, if I wanted to change from the floor shift to a column shift - is that possible? is it easier on a manual or automatic?
If I wanted to install cruise control, is this possible with EV (specific parts?) - I've seen conversion kits don't know if special points to consider for EV.

I've seen posts that the Warp 9 can perform 0-60 in 4 seconds on the VW, the Hyper-9 0-60 in 5-6 seconds. Does anyone have built list / item list for me to begin looking? what are the most compact/lightest motors with most power? most efficient? etc.?

·
Registered
14 Posts
hello, i am also converting my classic beetle 2003 (last model) I am from Mexico, add me on facebook so we can talk better, i am about to order all the pieces and kit, mainly from alibaba

·
Registered
14 Posts
automatic is less efficient because in combustion engines, it requires the drivetrain to spin constantly, which doesnt happen in manual. If you tried doing an automatic conversion, it will definitely be less efficient due to configuring the system for constant spining, although i dont have the exact numbers. Anyways, EV conversion can be clutchless, so driving without clutch is awesome. According to my calculations, i will spend 5k dollars or a bit less, I am saving money by doing the battery by myself, i designed the battery for the back part of the back seats (48.3 km autonomy approx 0 cycles, 38.7 2000cycles, lifepo4 cylindrical 32650 or 32700)

·
Registered
14 Posts
most efficient motors, definitely PMSM or a synchronous reluctance motor better. I am using 3 phase ac induction motor, this motors are good for harsh environments (i live in a very hot place named Coatzacoalcos, PMSM not good for me because permanent magnets lose efficiency when hot. anyways my motor is efficient is a 10kw-96v motor which gives around 160-200 watts per km

·
Registered
180 Posts
automatic is less efficient because in combustion engines, it requires the drivetrain to spin constantly, which doesnt happen in manual. If you tried doing an automatic conversion, it will definitely be less efficient due to configuring the system for constant spining, although i dont have the exact numbers. Anyways, EV conversion can be clutchless, so driving without clutch is awesome.
Less efficient is nonsense.

You have to pressurize the forward clutch pack, which if you were totally anal retentive about "efficiency" you can do with an accumulator, taking next to no power. Most modern manual transmissions run a lubrication pump which also is, omg, less "efficient."

As far as clutches go, you can't beat them for torque multiplication and their "efficiency" is as good as a motor coupler.

Transmissions and gearboxes are justifiable for a number of reasons. Efficiency is not a reason to dismiss them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts