1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle
Curb Weight: 2024 Pounds
Stock power: 48BHP
Current output: 90BHP
Gear Ratios: 1st - 3.78, 2nd - 2.06, 3rd - 1.26, 4th - 0.93, R - 3.79, Final - 3.875
Per the sticky post.
- Your skill level with auto mechanics and fabrication
I do all my own mechanical and most of my own machining & electrical.
- The range you are hoping to get (how many miles/charge)
Infinite miles would be nice; my average daily commute is 53 miles round trip, willing to accept 100 mile range greatly interested in 150+
- What level of performance you are hoping to get
75mph in a perfect world I'd find a way to have a hybrid setup enabling a range as far as 300 miles or at least eliminating becoming stranded by lack of charge as I do live semi-rural, however there is a network of public access charging stations claiming to support border to border driving with in the state along certain highways.
- How much money you are willing to put into your project
- What parts you've already considered, if any.
I've toyed the idea of direct swapping basically every production PHEV/EV available in the United States between 2012 and 2019 model years including Chevy Volt and Prius.
What I think I've settled on as the best / affordable option
- Remove: engine transaxle, fuel tank and other now unnecessary components from the vehicle for a net savings of 480 pounds +/-20
- 3" body lift using square tube TheSamba.com :: HBB Off-Road - View topic - body lift attempt TheSamba.com :: HBB Off-Road - View topic - body lift on a Super with struts anyone done it?? adding space between shell and pan for battery placement throughout the vehicle without as much loss of much passenger/ all cargo space and increasing pan strength.
- Purchase wrecked runs and drives Nissan Leaf at auction I have seen these sell in recent weeks for as low as 1900$
- Swap complete drivetrain including single speed reduction gear box with plans to add more batteries at a later time to extend range.
- Found a few aftermarket VCU's that I suppose should be looked into as well
I will NOT convert to front wheel drive so I'm either committed to a motor adapted to stock transaxle, the swap I've outlined above, or finagling another transverse engine/gearbox combo between my rear wheels.
Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.