DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, friends! My buddy and I recently decided to try an electric conversion.

We found a working base-model 1994 Honda Acty in a used car lot, and it seemed to be a good fit. Manual transmission, manual steering, manual windows. Light, small frame. Plenty of room for batteries in the pickup bed. Rear wheel drive, right under the batteries.

Neither of us has much experience working with cars, but we used to kit-bash old computer parts together to get them to run operating systems they were never meant to run. We once turned a 1991 Mac LC into a web server. We were looking for a more 21st century engineering challenge, and settled on this. I am quite sure we will screw something up horribly, but that's part of the fun!

For me, the goal is not to make the World's Greatest EV, but to make an EV that starts and stops and does not catch fire.

As far as components we have so far - just the Acty. Everything in it seems to work great. We are researching parts, but thought it was smart to post here before we spent more money.

So, if this were your conversion project - where would you begin? :D

Please don't judge us for being beginners! We're committed to doing the research, and we don't mind if we fall short. We figure the worst thing that can happen is we ruin a 1994 Honda Acty.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Plenty of room for batteries in the pickup bed.
It would be nice if the battery would fit under the bed rather than in it. The mid-engine configuration isn't bad for that: if you put the motor where the engine was it takes some of the space in the middle that should be battery, but at least it doesn't have a shaft running down the middle like a front-end one truck would.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be nice if the battery would fit under the bed rather than in it.
Yeah, I saw a YouTube video where a guy did this. It makes sense if we're trying to keep it from getting top-heavy. But it does seem more involved, since we'd probably have to make our own battery boxes for mounting them that way.

What budget batteries and motor would you recommend for a tiny car like this? (I'm pretty sure it runs off a motorcycle engine right now.)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey, friends! My buddy and I recently decided to try an electric conversion.

We found a working base-model 1994 Honda Acty in a used car lot, and it seemed to be a good fit. Manual transmission, manual steering, manual windows. Light, small frame. Plenty of room for batteries in the pickup bed. Rear wheel drive, right under the batteries.

Neither of us has much experience working with cars, but we used to kit-bash old computer parts together to get them to run operating systems they were never meant to run. We once turned a 1991 Mac LC into a web server. We were looking for a more 21st century engineering challenge, and settled on this. I am quite sure we will screw something up horribly, but that's part of the fun!

For me, the goal is not to make the World's Greatest EV, but to make an EV that starts and stops and does not catch fire.

As far as components we have so far - just the Acty. Everything in it seems to work great. We are researching parts, but thought it was smart to post here before we spent more money.

So, if this were your conversion project - where would you begin? :D

Please don't judge us for being beginners! We're committed to doing the research, and we don't mind if we fall short. We figure the worst thing that can happen is we ruin a 1994 Honda Acty.

View attachment 122481
I would say the cheapest would be to use a wreck Nissan Leaf. However, assuming you want to keep the manual transmission, there is a far amount of effort involved in matching a Leaf motor to a different manual transmission, and a learning curve on how to control the Leaf systems. On the other hand, depending on the dimensions, you might be able to make the Acty a front-wheel drive using the Leaf front-end, depending on how much you are willing to cut and weld to the Acty. Looks like a fun project for sure.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Yeah, I saw a YouTube video where a guy did this. It makes sense if we're trying to keep it from getting top-heavy. But it does seem more involved, since we'd probably have to make our own battery boxes for mounting them that way.
It's not just to avoid being top-heavy (although that's a good point); it is a truck so it would be good to keep it functional for carrying cargo. If you put the battery in the box (or on the bed, as it's really a flatbed with folding sides), you need to build a structural floor over it to carry cargo on top if you still want to carry anything.

You might consider something like the current S-10 project (1996 chevy s-10 conversion (part 2)) in which the battery is in a simple box on top of the frame, with a flat load deck over the battery, not using the stock box. If you can mount the box low enough, you can incorporate wheel wells into the box.

It might make sense to start with the battery on the original bed, planning to move it underneath when everything works (and leaving space to do that).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that's sort of what we're thinking right now! Get the electronics working while the batteries are in the bed, and then decide if we should move them below the bed. We don't really need to haul anything, so losing the use of the bed would be acceptable.

Thanks for the link! Will check that project out. :D

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
144 Posts
You just don't think you have a need to haul anything because your friends don't know you have a pickup truck yet ;)

I think your plan is a good one, get it running first then start the permanent modifications.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We've started making videos about this project. We're still really early in the planning phase, but we're having a lot of fun. Big news is we've bought a motor and tested it, and are picking up batteries we bought from a warehouse in a couple weeks.

Thought folks might want an update! 🚙⚡

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a very cool project. Looking forward to seeing it come together. I'm in the same boat as far as not really knowing what I'm doing but willing to learn.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
I watched the video... I hope you realize that Kei car and truck engines are not actually motorcycle engines, although they are within the displacement range of motorcycle engines.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
I apparently missed this when it was originally posted...
I would say the cheapest would be to use a wreck Nissan Leaf. However, assuming you want to keep the manual transmission, there is a far amount of effort involved in matching a Leaf motor to a different manual transmission, and a learning curve on how to control the Leaf systems. On the other hand, depending on the dimensions, you might be able to make the Acty a front-wheel drive using the Leaf front-end, depending on how much you are willing to cut and weld to the Acty.
Although the Leaf drive unit (motor and transaxle) is in the front of the Leaf, there's no need to use it in the front. The Acty has the engine just ahead of the axle which it drives (the rear), just as the Leaf motor is just ahead of the axle which it drives (the front). Since the Acty is rear-wheel-drive, and doesn't use a live beam axle, it would probably be easier to use a Leaf unit in the rear than in the front.

Since this came up a motor has apparently been chosen, but I haven't seen any indication of what it is.

Edit: apparently a new thread has been started, for no apparent reason, so this one is now pointless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The other thread was created just to share the videos. This thread is the one we're using to seek advice and input. If the video thread is in the wrong subforum, apologies, but we weren't aware there was a better place to put it.

The motor is a used GE forklift motor that previously was used in a Toyota conversion. We have a video where we describe and test it.

Please be mindful of the fact that we're first timers at this, like many others. We're posting here specifically to learn.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
The other thread was created just to share the videos. This thread is the one we're using to seek advice and input. If the video thread is in the wrong subforum, apologies, but we weren't aware there was a better place to put it.
If the videos are about your build, why not just put links to them in this thread? Otherwise, you'll have two threads, and people trying to help with any of your questions in this thread will be frustrated by only part of the information being available here.

The motor is a used GE forklift motor that previously was used in a Toyota conversion. We have a video where we describe and test it.
I saw that, which is why I made my comment. There's no point in running a thread "to seek advice and input" then sharing information such as your motor choice only in a different thread. If you have questions later about the motor, in which thread would you ask them? If it's in this thread, how would we know what you had chosen or done, since that's all in a video only mentioned in the other thread? One thread works.

I'll spare you my usual rant about videos instead of useful communication. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The video playlist is also posted in this thread. We'll be updating this thread as we create more videos. All of the information on our project can be found in this thread.

The videos are intended partially as a fundraising tool, and have so far paid for our motor.

If you have further thoughts on our use of this forum, please take it to DM, so this thread can focus on our conversion project.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts