DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a first time individual interested in building my own full conversion all electric car. I already purchased a 1997 Eagle talon/Mitsubishi eclipse and removed the 4 cylinder engine, fuel system, and exhaust system. The car is front wheel drive with a 5 speed manual transmission I intend to use. The car weighs about 2900lbs and is a 2 door sport coupe. Although I have not done this type of conversion before I do most of my own vehicle maintenance and I have a bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering and I have designed weapons for 25 years. I would ultimately like a vehicle range approaching 200 miles although I am willing to build up to that from a starting point of about 50 miles. I Would like to have sporty performance for the car with accelerations of 0-60 mph in about 4-4.5 seconds. I have not bought any parts so far in terms of the conversion but I intend to spend about $10000 to accomplish this conversion mostly through sweat equity. So how do I get started?
Thanks, Kurt 3/9/11 ** reposted to "All EV conversions and builds" **

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good to see another 2G DSM in the works. Mine is on a very slow pace, but I have done some engineering on mine. If you click on my signature link below, it will take you to my post for a spreadsheet that, from what I've been able to research, seems pretty close to actual performance.

I think your 0-60 mph is optimistic on your budget. I think 15 to 20+ sec is more realistic if you use lead acid for initial cost purposes. But lead acid isn't cost effective, if that's your goal. Using Lithium batteries to achieve your real world range of 50 miles will pretty much eat up your 10k budget. Others here with actual experience building EVs can give you actual cost numbers, but my estimate on just the electric drive for mine will be 15k + with 42 CALB 180 ah batteries, WarP 9 drive and Soliton 1 controller. Range probably 65 miles, 0-60 mph in the 12-14 sec area.

For me, "where to start" is determining what I can be happy with on a limited budget with available technology.

·
Registered
109 Posts
With a $10k budget you're going to have to find a good source for free used cells someplace in the aerospace industry and spend most of your cash on a motor or two big enough to get your car to 60mph in 4s and a driveline that can handle an obscene amount of torque.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts