DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be our first conversion, although we have a 1995 USElectricar S-10 we brought back from the dead, so we're not 100% newbies :) Also have some pretty thorough fabrication skills, so creating a box for the batteries (for example) should be no problemo. We'll probably even build our own adapter plate for the transmission, but if it's easy to buy one or get a template, we'll probably just do that to play it safe.

We're looking to do a lithium pack, maybe 156v or 180v system. Would like to get a true, driveable, 40 highway miles without pushing the pack too hard, as we'd like these batteries to be well protected and last a good long time. It doesn't have to squeal the tires, but we'd like decent pickup (again, without stressing the batteries too badly).

We're pretty price sensitive, so the sound of a $3k controller makes my stomach churn :) That said, we know we're going to have to shell out some $$, but we want to spend as much on batteries as we can. We'd love to do the whole thing for $9k (excluding the truck, which we already have), but I'm thinking we'd need to get an awesome deal on batteries to pull that off.

We're wide open to suggestions about components - we'd love anyone's thoughts about:
- Best controller for our needs, in terms of price-to-performance, and ease-of-use
- motor
- Charger
- Good source for check Lifepo batts
- BMS suggestions

... and any other tips and tricks yall might have.

Suerte,

TK
________
Aprilia ETV1000

·
Registered
511 Posts
This will be our first conversion, although we have a 1995 USElectricar S-10 we brought back from the dead, so we're not 100% newbies :) Also have some pretty thorough fabrication skills, so creating a box for the batteries (for example) should be no problemo. We'll probably even build our own adapter plate for the transmission, but if it's easy to buy one or get a template, we'll probably just do that to play it safe.

We're looking to do a lithium pack, maybe 156v or 180v system. Would like to get a true, driveable, 40 highway miles without pushing the pack too hard, as we'd like these batteries to be well protected and last a good long time. It doesn't have to squeal the tires, but we'd like decent pickup (again, without stressing the batteries too badly).

We're pretty price sensitive, so the sound of a $3k controller makes my stomach churn :) That said, we know we're going to have to shell out some $$, but we want to spend as much on batteries as we can. We'd love to do the whole thing for $9k (excluding the truck, which we already have), but I'm thinking we'd need to get an awesome deal on batteries to pull that off.

We're wide open to suggestions about components - we'd love anyone's thoughts about:
- Best controller for our needs, in terms of price-to-performance, and ease-of-use
- motor
- Charger
- Good source for check Lifepo batts
- BMS suggestions

... and any other tips and tricks yall might have.

Suerte,

TK
Assuming 350 wh/mi, 40 miles is 14,400. x 1.2 for DoD and 1.2 for Peukert, 20,160 wh. At 156v, you'd need 46 cells at 129 Ah. I think there is a 130 Ah available from some manufacturers. But at about $1.2 per Ah, you're looking at ~155 per cell, before shipping and BMS, which is ~$7120. Doing everything else for 1.8 k will be pretty difficult.

If you can machine the coupler for your motor, get a used motor and maybe build your own controller, I suppose you can do it, but if your confidence level with those tasks is not there, you'll have to save up a bit and spring for buying. But most controllers aren't $3,000. Some are, like the Soliton is pushing it, but it offers a lot of things in it. A controller, by itself, is only $1000 or so from Kelly, Altrax, etc. Keep in mind you'll need fuses, contactors, and some other bits to finish wiring it; those are included inside the Soliton, so really weigh your options and what performance you are looking for.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts