DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to attempt my first electric vehicle conversion!

My most important metric to me is range, I'd love to be able to get well over 100 miles on a charge.

I'm looking to build a reliable daily driver. I haven't seen many other people convert E34's, the curb weight is definitely higher than ideal at around 3600lbs.

I don't have much practical experience in the automotive industry. I'm a recent college graduate with a degree in Mech. Engineering but my work experience is on a much smaller scale.

I'm not entirely sure where to start with this. Is there anyone in the LA area that could help me get a better sense of the work and associated costs required?

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
The reliability and range goals could be met by buying an inexpensive used EV (such as a Nissan Leaf, but there are others). So what's the goal that leads you to want to convert the BMW (and this specific model)? It could be as a hobby, or learning experience, or to get some particular vehicle characteristic that hasn't been mentioned yet (such as interior room, comfort, performance, or appearance). Your reasons for doing the conversion will determine what approaches are suitable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always been fascinated by cars and now, specifically EVs. What I want to do wasn't always possible and it's definitely not mainstream. I have the BMW already, I'm 6'7" so I'm not given many options for vehicles but I fit in this car well and I think it's the coolest looking thing.

I have a lot of freedom with this project. I think the conversion process could be a great learning experience.

I'm interested in taking out the transmission and having the motor be direct drive but besides that, I just want to make sure the car goes the distance.

That should cut down on some weight but I'm not married to that idea either.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I've always been fascinated by cars and now, specifically EVs. What I want to do wasn't always possible and it's definitely not mainstream. I have the BMW already, I'm 6'7" so I'm not given many options for vehicles but I fit in this car well and I think it's the coolest looking thing.

I have a lot of freedom with this project. I think the conversion process could be a great learning experience.

I'm interested in taking out the transmission and having the motor be direct drive but besides that, I just want to make sure the car goes the distance.

That should cut down on some weight but I'm not married to that idea either.
:)
So, room and appearance are added to range and reliability as important criteria. Performance isn't mentioned, which makes some of the more modestly powered motors potentially usable. For instance, while the 540i's original engine is much more powerful than a Nissan Leaf motor, the leaf motor might be adequate for you (although not for me... ;)).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for helping me clarify!

I'm actually open to the idea of using a Nissan leaf motor. It sounds like it could be very economical.

Is that motor easy to install compared to other motors?

The BMW currently has a V8 engine, I'd be interesting is selling or trading that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts