DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker first time poster.

Considering a Audi A6 C6 conversion. wiki page
Reading metricminds blog on a audi quattro conversion has got me more serious about it. blog
As I like the idea of AWD for sand and gravel. Also because there is one available near me for aud$3000 with a dead combustion motor but no dents or rust.
Plus the 3.2 FSI model is rated for 320 Nm of torque.

Skill level: Beginner/ Intermediate. Have done diff swaps, fuel pump change, fluid changes etc. Also a Cert 2 for house electrical and some house wiring experience around 240V.

Range: Initially 50km to keep battery cost down.

Budget: Ok so have aud$9k in the bank right now, but I live very cheap at home with parents and have a lot of time and a garage. I am hoping to take my time getting the motor, ac, car computer, charger etc setup as I save more for a battery. Say $500 a week saving rate.

Parts: Either a Prius 2nd gen motor or a motor from Alibaba. Enough kW to get to 120km/h. Future hope being a dual motor setup.
alibaba motor example, motor higher rpm and gear reducer.

Is starting a build before I have the funds for all components a bad idea?
Are electrical systems on these types of cars impossible? Any links to info of how to crack the system and turn off all the error codes etc would be great.
Should I give up on luxury interior and AWD and just slap a fat battery in a Prius?
Battery wise anyone have links to good sites explaining BMS and cooling? I was thinking of building my battery from 18650 cells.
Or should I look for modules from teslas, leafs etc?

All tips, info and opinions welcome.
Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found a 2nd hand 24V 5.3kWh 233Ah tesla battery module for aud$2200. 444 Panasonic 18650 cells.
Being used it obviously wouldn't still hold this much.

But the same capacity from these 18650 cells, LG M29 2.85 Ah, after adjusting for only using 80% of capacity would be
$250 + $450 shipping. For roughly 100cells.

Pretty big price difference. I know a diy battery would still need BMS, cooling and a box. Is there something I am missing?
Tesla brand name tax? Panasonic, Sony, LG and Samsung all make great cells.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just found a 2nd hand 24V 5.3kWh 233Ah tesla battery module for aud$2200. 444 Panasonic 18650 cells.
Being used it obviously wouldn't still hold this much.

But the same capacity from these 18650 cells, LG M29 2.85 Ah, after adjusting for only using 80% of capacity would be
$250 + $450 shipping. For roughly 100cells.

Pretty big price difference. I know a diy battery would still need BMS, cooling and a box. Is there something I am missing?
Tesla brand name tax? Panasonic, Sony, LG and Samsung all make great cells.
Your math here is waaaay off. You're only taking into account the Ah rating of the pack and cells. As I'm sure you know, watt hours = volts x amp hours. So you're comparing 285 Ah of 3.2v cells to 233 Ah in a 24v module. You would need more than 600 of those 18650 cells to match the capacity of the 444 cells in the Tesla module.

So the Tesla module comes out to be fairly comparable in price to the other option. Tesla cells are the best you can get, minimal degradation and great Ah capacity per cell.

Both batteries would still need a BMS.​

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for correcting my stupid @reiderM. I also found these websites which helped me understand it more.

Yep your right, with prices being similar, that would easily make the 24v tesla module the obvious choice.

I'm gonna go spend more time learning and searching before I start a conversion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts