DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an electronic engineering student and I have some experience with electric cars. I did the complete electrical system integration of this little rallye car (S2000) last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5844VCjRpv0

So my uncle came to me and said he want to convert his Chinese UTV (XYJK800). I managed to get quite a budget for this conversion.

The standard UTV weighs around 1100lbs and is licensed till 1760lbs.

The specs I want to aim for:
range: 150miles
top speed: 70mph
power: 40kw peak
road legal in Europe (Austria)
battery: >15kWh

I will build the battery pack myself because and I have access to high power XALT pouch cells. They are very expensive but I plan to reuse the pack later.
Budget without the battery cells: 15000$.

For VCU I will choose a MoTeC control unit (high price, but I get a huge discount and I can reuse the firmware I wrote for the HIPER MK1)
I have worked with Elithion, but I think Orion might be the better option since it has OBDII support and it is a bit cheaper.

It will have one motor/ controller per wheel because I want to use it as test platform for a follow up torque vectoring project. This is the point where I have the most difficulty to choose. I am also uncertain which Voltage range it is best to operate but currently I plan to go to the 100V range.

I consider the Revolt motors because they look quite promising (power, voltage, speed) however I wonder if there are more robust, higher quality options than this. The controller should be operable by CAN.
I would be really glad if you guys could give me for this build (especially motors/controllers) before I start. I'm looking forward to this project and I'm going to document everything for you.

Any thoughts welcome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So my uncle came to me and said he want to convert his Chinese UTV (XYJK800). I managed to get quite a budget for this conversion.
Interesting choice!

It will have one motor/ controller per wheel because I want to use it as test platform for a follow up torque vectoring project. This is the point where I have the most difficulty to choose. I am also uncertain which Voltage range it is best to operate but currently I plan to go to the 100V range.
So you want to fit one motor and one transmission per wheel into the space between the wheels that is not already shock absorber, coil spring, and CV axle, with 4 controllers ... somewhere ... plus enough pouch cells to go 150 miles. That's quite a list of requirements!

The only additional information would be ... how FAST do you want it to accelerate to 70 mph? And, I guess, what type of tires are you going to put on it so that they stay round at that speed - since UTV tires are not normally truck tires?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts