DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here, but I've been lurking a while.

My father and I are in the early planning stages of a Bentley Turbo R conversion. We haven't sourced the exact car yet, but there are plenty. We now need to work out what we're likely to spend on top of that.

It won't be a fast project. More of a weekend thing to work on together. As much about the journey as the destination.

As much as I'd love to dive into the classified ads for a non-runner and start ripping the V8 out of a car and measuring the size of the hole, we've got a lot of spreadsheets to do first.

We love the idea of the silent wafting, and the huge space to work with, but obviously we're starting with a heavy car and will end with a heavy car.

Range, 2-300 miles ideally. There should be plenty room for batteries front and rear.

Performance wise, we won't be visiting the drag strip. The torque and power should suit the car, building effortlessly to a 70mph cruise, but not in record breaking time. 1500bhp should do it. (I'm kidding!)

We're not strangers to a spanner, but have never tackled anything like this. Dad's from the days of DIY car maintenance. I'm not really, but I have a reasonable understanding of the electrics and electronics. We will enlist the help and garage space of a friend who is very handy, and will have no bother with fabrication etc. He just doesn't know it yet... :)

Reasons to do it:

Fun.
We've finally agreed on a project that excites us both. That alone has taken years!
EV propulsion would suit the ethos of the Bentley beautifully. Quiet and torquey.
The result would be special and interesting enough to be worth the cost/effort.
Plenty space for packaging once the V8 is removed.
Good layout, no live axles or anything too tricky... except for...

Obvious issues:

Not a lot of info out there on RR/Bentely EVs. We're not the first, but there's not much to copy.
Weight. This won't be an eco project, that's for sure.
Auto gearbox. We're open to suggestions here. I don't know what to do about that. We want to rip it out, and not just get it working with the auto in place if we can.
And lots of stuff this forum can't help with like space and tools and hoists and ramps. And money. And which of us gets to use it when it's finished. :)

Any specific links or general advice would be most welcome, thanks, and I'll let you know how it's going or when we fall out and give up! :D

·
Administrator
6,294 Posts
The problem is going to be space for the batteries - that is going to be your biggest problem

I would suggest thinking about cutting enough of the rear floor away to mount a Tesla drive motor and transmission driving the rear wheels

The engine bay would then be clear for batteries - I would also look at enlarging the transmission and propshaft tunnel so that you could put batteries in there as well

A complete crashed Tesla would probably be a good start

You may be able to use a Leaf power unit instead - but it will be a bit strained

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice.

Tesla drive at the rear is one option we've discussed, and like, because it solves the gearbox issue, and as you say it frees up the tunnel for more batteries low down and between the axles, which appeals.

It's really only not the default choice because of the cost of a crashed Tesla. It may solve so many issues that it becomes cost effective though...

·
Administrator
6,294 Posts
Your options are

Drive unit from an EV ---- Best

DC motor(s) from forklifts --- would work but not sophisticated

New AC motors - complicated, expensive and wimpy

If you get a complete car you get all of the bits you may need

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you considered the YASA motors? looks like you could do away with the gearbox and run them straight to the rear diff.

Johnathan Ward of icon 4x4 fame has been turning his hand to some ev stuff with some help from the talented lads at stealth ev, they did a mercury ev similar concept body on chassis car, ladder frame affair. They use an AM Racing engine from what I can tell but it allows you to keep the rear suspension and axle geometry.

full build is here:
https://www.icon4x4.com/derelict/pastprojects/37

1 - 6 of 6 Posts