DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this forum. This is great resource jammed with important information that needs to be passed on in communities across the globe.

I am fairly new to the EV world with honestly very little auto mechanical experience or fabrication experience but I desire to learn and an aptitude with my hands. Remodeled my own house (which I don't recommend).
I am hoping to have a daily driver that can do at least 30-40 miles per day and perform easily at freeway speeds (although it will not be on the freeway much except to move up a few exits.

I have a $10,000 budget for the conversion but I could be flexible if necessary. I don't yet have the truck but I am actively looking for a frame/body in decent shape without the engine.

I saw the great conversion done my MachineGuy with 60 100amp GBS LiFePO4 cells, Solitron1 control, 5K watt charge, Warp 11. That was 2012 am wondering if there are better options today.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Looks like the A100 is a pretty cool cab forward, midsize 60's pickup truck. I'm guessing they are pretty rare. I'm figuring it probably weighs around 3000lbs as a glider.

Your expectations for range and performance are very achievable.

In DC land, the warp or advanced DC 9" or warp 11 would certainly work. You probably want to keep the transmission, though with a high amp controller the warp 11 might allow for DC direct drive (motor straight to rear diff) if you were to put a 4.77 or 5.x ratio rear end in it.

As for controllers I don't think the Soliton controllers are currently in production. Nothing was wrong with them afaik, just not enough volume so they switched focus. As far as I know zilla controllers are your only good option in DC land right now unless you want to go with the old standby curtis controller.

In AC land, there are "low voltage" (144v) AC systems that are good for about 100hp that are well priced (about the same as a z1k and a warp 9) which offer regenerative braking and a bit better overall reliability, but not as much raw power as a zilla backed DC system could do.

Probably the biggest thing that has changed since your 2012 data point is the battery situation. These days the best way to go is to get the battery pack out of a wrecked nissan leaf. a 24kwh pack in that A100 would give 30-40 miles of range easily (probably at least 50) presuming mostly sub-50mph driving. You would have to look at rearranging the leaf battery (nominally 360V @ 66ah) depending on what drive train components you picked. a Z1K-HV I believe would handle that battery voltage just fine, but the HPEVs AC system previously mentioned is a 144v system, so you would have to rearrange the pack for 120v and 200ah to make it workable.

As for budget, you should be able to get a motor/controller combo for around $5-6k new price, and the leaf battery pack surplus price ranges $3-5K depending on your luck and patience factor. You would still need a charger ($1-2K and up) and bms ($1k and up) and other ancillary stuff (fuses,cabling, adaper plate, battery boxes, etc) adding another couple thousand. So a better price point for the conversion is probably $15-20K. again this assumes everything new but the battery.

FWIW buying an abandoned or unused conversion can be a great way to get parts. Just make sure what is there is functional and the parts are modern, good quality, and made by somebody who still supports them. Most of the conversions you find FS the batteries are toast, so don't buy a conversion for the batteries unless proven good by drive of distance proving the advertised range. Even conversion with dead batteries (unless completely destroyed) should hold a charge well enough to go around the block a few times allowing you to check everything else out.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts