DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. my name is brandon. first since im new to the forum ill tell a lil about myself. im in knoxville tn. im 24. my automotive background is deciant. im a certified ASE master tech, i have an AA in automotive, 2 voca's in auto and engine builds, GM and BMW certified. im also certified in diesel and heavy equipment. but since i moved to TN. im a body builder (not the working out kind) trucks come to me cab/chassis i turn them into whatever; road tractor, dump truck, tanker, flatbed, crane truck, utility truck, ect. i fabricate and build the beds mostly from scratch, design and fab the hydraulic and electrical systems. metal fabrication is a huge part of my job. on the side i build lamborghini kitcars. im still working on my build lamborghini murcielago lp640. but i have built plenty of these kinds of cars. i have to make everything by hand. chassis, motor mounts, wire harnesses, doors, hinges, hoods, window components, ect. i love working on kitcars. but now im very interested in an EV. im not very sure how the whole thing works, i was trying to research and stumbled across this forum. i am working on getting a donor car right now. but i was wondering what a good cheap donor is often recommended. i also wanted to see if i can get a few pionters and advice on these conversions. i know about the adaptor plates, motors, controllers, dc/dc convertors, throttle box. but im just not sure what all of it does. such as the dc/dc convertor. im not sure on which ones to buy, whats good whats not. im not looking for alot of performance, just around town driving 40-60 mph tops, and maybe 40-60 miles on a single charge. my budget is small but not impossible. but i learn very quickly, and understand the concept of almost everything im told. but there is alot of grey area in these conversion for me. so thats why ill ask the pros. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
the electric motors/controllers are a lot simpler than gas engines... should be a snap for you. Pick a cheap easy moderate project for first on, then go for the e-lambo!

There are a couple BASIC books in the reference section available at any of the ev distributors that are good to read through first just the learn what the parts are and what they do.

THEN you can select kit for your first project... build a simple grocery-getter on a 5-10 year old donor, then build another for fun....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what voltage should i run? what controller? what size motor? like dtbaker said, i will just build a basic setup for the first one.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
for a 'small car', typically 4 seat hatchbacks are great bang for the buck like yet another geo metro, a newer chevy aveo, honda civic, scion Xa... something along those lines a good basic can't lose build would be:
- 8" dc motor, curtis 1221c (400amp) controller, curtis 1400 dc-dc or cheaper chinese knockoff, zivan or elcon charger tuned for LITHIUM. depending on range start no smaller than 120v (38) worth of 100ah cells. You could start w/ 96v system, but will want to upgrade to 120v which is the upper limit on controller and motor. Other components fall out from there...

feel free to deviate, but a 120v, 100ah LiFePO4 DC build with a 8" motor is a solid performer for parts cost total around $10k. You could get started for les w/ lead-acid, but I am convinced that at this point in time you might as well save up and start w/ Li.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can get a curtis 1221b or a raptor 600 controller for cheap. are either of those good? im having a lil trouble finding a 120v motor. whats a company that sells the one i need? or anyone on the forum have one for sale?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
i can get a curtis 1221b or a raptor 600 controller for cheap. are either of those good? im having a lil trouble finding a 120v motor. whats a company that sells the one i need? or anyone on the forum have one for sale?
you need to be careful with model numbers... the curtis 1221-c is the old workhorse that has been around for a LONG time. the raptor I have no personal experience with. The curtis is not new technology, not super output, not 'settable' with computer output to CANN bus, but it is solid, dependable, and a lot cheaper than Zilla and Soliton for example.

if you cant find a motor, you are not looking.....

the ADC 8", netgains and others are all over the place and available from any dealer like kts-ev.com, evolveelectrics.com and a host of others advertised on the right of your screen as you view this forum. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts