DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Have just started investigating EV's and got really geared up about building my own. Didn't know in what type of vehicle until I saw a 1985 Ford E350 RV edition for sale without a drivetrain. Still just in the pre-planning stage. Haven't bought the car because I hardly no anything about EV conversions, yet. But the idea of an electric RV really got me hooked. Currently have a diesel RV based on a Mb Sprinter, but I want to downsize since my current one is a bit big around the cities. Also the age of the E350 would mean no tax and cheaper insurance. So that paired with an electric drivetrain would make it practically free to own and run. But since it's a RV I would like to have some range so you can get to places without having to stop and charge all the time. And the E350 is a big and heavy thing so by no means the ideal platform for a EV conversion. So what I would like to know from you guys is if it is even possible to fit battery packs big enough or if the size or weight of them will make it near to impossible. I plan to fill the roof with solar panels to extend the range as much as possible. A generator would be good as well for off grid camping and charging. So the question is if it is even possible and if so, what would it cost?
  • Your skill level with auto mechanics and fabrication
Have always had older cars and done all the maintenance myself. Everything from the easy oil change to rear axel change. So by no means an expert, but no rookie.​
  • The range you are hoping to get (how many miles/charge)
300 miles would be the dream, but I know it's a lot. Especially for such a bit vehicle.​
  • What level of performance you are hoping to get
More or less standard. Top speed of 65 MPH would suffice, but wouldn't hurt to have a bit higher for take overs. My current RV cruising speed is 50 MPH.​
  • How much money you are willing to put into your project
First of all I want to know if it can be done. Then we can start talking budget.​
  • What parts you've already considered, if any.
None for the conversion, but as mentioned above solar panels and a generator for range extension.​

Know it's a somewhat crazy idea and, if possible, will probably cost a fortune, but I just can't get the idea out of my head without at least looking into it first.

Best regards

Niklas

1 - 1 of 1 Posts