DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
So for an AC motor and parts Id guess it'd be in the 10-16k US dollar range.
Ok, that helps... I'd probably start by looking at a wrecked Nissan Leaf which should cost you ~2500 GBP then add more Nissan battery modules if you need more range.

Take a look at Mike Schooling's Leaf based Defender conversion if you need inspiration :)

https://twitter.com/Indra_rt/status/976508071718596608

Unfortunately this project will take shape in the UK, so there would be the matter of importing or sourcing here.
Lots activity in the UK, look up projects by Mike Schooling (here), Chris Hazell (here), Tom De Bree (here), and myself. Damien (here) is also just across the water :)

If you want to see any of these cars let me know...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What other options would there be as far as aftermarket? Im thinking more in the sense of future support, upgrade-ability or even if the first one works out making a second conversion.
You could go more old school and use an motor from one of the smaller manufacturers (see here). However, those solutions are much more expensive than the OEM parts we buy from wrecks (Leaf drive units have been changing hands for 600 Euros). That said, If you are serious about series production then talk to Mike Schooling at Indra or Anne Kloppenborg at New Electric about their certified and supported drive trains :cool:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm now curious about cruising speed/range with that motor and how many batteries it would take to get to the 100 mile range goal.
Given the Leaf curb weight is 3,300lbs, it's pretty aerodynamic, and has an EPA range of 84 miles (24kWh battery), I think you should assume you'll need ~48kWh for a real world 100 miles range, given the weight and aerodynamics of the Defender.

I've attached a Leaf range chart estimator :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I think the gearbox attachment route would be best as it gives the option of the 5 gears to play with.
No electric OEM cars have a shiftable gearbox today, they just don't need it... that said however, you may find it simplifies the conversion and I suspect that's what Mike did with the Leaf based Defender :cool:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Just spotted aftermarket Electric power steering , page 27 Spring issue LRO Magazine. suits early RRC , 90 & 110 , goes inline in the steering column.
Many of these systems use the Vauxhall Corsa (GM) power steering assembly... I have one for my conversion and hope to eventually have it integrated into the open source inverter software :cool:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.