DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1973 Super Beetle that is tucked away in a storage container for right now. The original motor ist kaput (shot inortherwords). I am investigating, researching and trying to get an idea of how to turn it into an electric vehicle. The only catch is it is an automatic stick shift.
My mechanical abilities are limited, but I am willing to learn. I do not have any welding skills or fabrication skills. I hope to learn a lot from everyone, since electrics I am still learning. Thanks for any suggestions or advice on this upcoming project.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The autostick is not a big issue. You can slap a regular 4-speed real easy and VW parts are readily available. I would recommend a clutchless conversion because your frame is most likely lacking the clutch cable tube.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EVfun,
Thanks for the advise, it's been a while since I looked in on the bug. Thanks for the idea of going clutchless and on the standard trans.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
bens170,

Why not go clutchless with the autostick trans. Its ratios are better optimised for use with a electric motor. Low is grunt or stop and go, second is general city and third is highway.

As a plus, removing the torque converter and auto clutch housing give you a bit more room for the longer motors.

Those trans ratios were chosen to use the low speed torque multiplacation of the torque converter, which gives a lot more low end torque then a manual w/clutch from an ICE.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jimdear2,
Thanks for the information. I appreciate the help, since I don't know a thing about electric vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To tomofreno,
Thank you for informing about Corbin's VW build. I spent quite a bit time on reading his build.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To Corbin,
I will contact you if the wife and I are going to be up in that area.
Good luck on your project.
Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts