DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m trying to convert the two front wheels of my Berg Black Edition pedal go kart into electric powered wheels. The back two wheels are single geared, pedal powered, and I would like to leave them as is so I can still use it as a bike when I want to. The whole kart, including myself, currently weights between 300-350 lbs. I would like it to be able to go between 30-40mph. I would also like to add disk brakes and possibly some sort of suspension to the front wheels. Is a build like this possible? If so, what other stuff will it require other than the stuff on the list below (minus the suspension stuff)?

-2 hub motors (BLDC? / how much power does each motor need to get me to my target speed?)
-controller (Do I need 1 controller for each wheel?)
-speedometer
-disk brake set up
-throttle pedal
-lithium Ion Battery (How many volts do I need to run this setup plus some lights?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Having a motor per driven wheel will make this project more complicated and expensive than reusing the current driven axle.

The easy route would be a mid-mount (normally goes near the crank) e-bike kit with a controller hacked to allow throttle control rather than pedal-assist.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having a motor per driven wheel will make this project more complicated and expensive than reusing the current driven axle.

The easy route would be a mid-mount (normally goes near the crank) e-bike kit with a controller hacked to allow throttle control rather than pedal-assist.

Thanks for your reply! There is a more expensive version of my kart that has an electric pedal assist, but my kart is not electric at all so it has no pedal assist.
I have a really basic version and can't buy the more expensive one where I live. :(
In this case is a mid-mount still the best option? I would really like to be able to still use it as a bicycle as well!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for your reply! There is a more expensive version of my kart that has an electric pedal assist, but my kart is not electric at all so it has no pedal assist.
I have a really basic version and can't buy the more expensive one where I live.
In this case is a mid-mount still the best option? I would really like to be able to still use it as a bicycle as well!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Thanks for your reply! There is a more expensive version of my kart that has an electric pedal assist,
but my kart is not electric at all so it has no pedal assist.

I have a really basic version and can't buy the more expensive one where I live.

Even making mine an electric pedal assist is not practical because I only have one gear.

In this case is a mid-mount still the best option?

I would really like to be able to still use it as a bicycle as well.

Is it possible to change the rear wheels to use an electric mid-mount and still be able to use it as a bike?

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts