DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

This is the plan:

Range Rover Classic, ripping out engine, transmission, tank etc.

Motor: Swindon SWIND HPD 80 E Powertrain, connected directly to the rear axle.
Battery: BMW i3 94Ah
Controller: Simp BMS

Thoughts?

Olle from Sweden, who is a decent welder, fabricator and mechanic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Olle,

I'm considering a conversion of my Mini using this Swindon powertrain as well. Curious if you made progress with your plan? Did you make changes? Why the rear axle? Where do you plan to fit that battery?

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Robert,

I haven't started yet, still on paternity leave.

I might start this up during the autumn, but the problem in locating a decent battery pack and a compatible BMS made me loose my initial energy. I'm not interested in building my own battery pack. I had hoped I can put the battery back underneath the car between the frame rails.

The idea of attaching it directly on the rear axle came from the sales rep at Swindon. I emailed them a bit back and forth.
He wrote this:
So, if you are going for 2WD and driving the rear axle (best), you can either drive the original transmission system by coupling an electric motor, where the output shaft of the ICE would have been or completely remove the transmission system, prop shaft and rear axle and replace with a live e-axle e.g. the HPD E Powertrain system.

He also sent me a list of components needed for the conversion:
  • Electric Motor
  • [E-Transmission]
  • Inverter/MCU
  • DC-DC
  • On-Board Charger
  • HV Battery Pack – 400 VDC
  • Drive By Throttle Assy
  • Direction Selector Assy [Gear Lever]
  • Digital Dash Display

I hope this helps.

Regards Olle

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
The idea of attaching it directly on the rear axle came from the sales rep at Swindon. I emailed them a bit back and forth.
He wrote this:
So, if you are going for 2WD and driving the rear axle (best), you can either drive the original transmission system by coupling an electric motor, where the output shaft of the ICE would have been or completely remove the transmission system, prop shaft and rear axle and replace with a live e-axle e.g. the HPD E Powertrain system.

He also sent me a list of components needed for the conversion:
  • Electric Motor
  • [E-Transmission]
That doesn't make any sense to me; perhaps something is missing from the description of the plan. If you took out the stock live beam axle and just put in the Swindon drive unit (motor and gearbox), you would not have a rear suspension. Instead, you would need to either:
  • mount the motor to the stock rear axle (keeping the axle), or
  • mount the motor and gearbox to the frame and replace the stock rear axle and suspension with an independent suspension.
There are electric motors integrated into a beam axle like a classic Range Rover uses, and in fact golf carts are routinely done that way, but Swindon doesn't offer that configuration. Here's an example from the Dana Spicer Electrified division of BorgWarner:
eS4500r Rigid e-Axle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I agree with your analysis.

I haven't reached the point where I'm seriously considering this conversion yet. The Swindon powertrain might even be too weak to push this heavy car.

This thread is interesting if you wanna read about a successful Range Rover conversion: Range Ever build thread

Regards, Olle

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
The Swindon powertrain might even be too weak to push this heavy car.
Early Land Rovers certainly had less power than the 80 kW Swindon motor. The Range Rover was always a premium vehicle, so it was available with more power, but 80 kW almost matches some of the original diesel options in the Classic and might still be okay with the right gearing and appropriate expectations. I see that Swindon offers a 120 kW version as well.

This thread is interesting if you wanna read about a successful Range Rover conversion: Range Ever build thread
I'm not judging that project, but a decade later, I think it would make sense to do everything differently from that one.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Care to elaborate? How would you do it? I really have no idea where to start..
By "do everything differently", I mean don't use dual series motors, don't use an automatic transmission and especially don't use one with the torque converter still installed, and don't use prismatic LFP cells.

If you're really starting from zero, I suggest reading the threads about more recent 4X4 conversions) for ideas of what is possible. They don't need to be about Range Rovers; classic Land Rovers are effectively the same, and any traditional 4X4 has similar issues of how to handle four wheel drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts