DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YO,

I've been browsing ebay in the hopes of locating parts to construct an electric longboard to cruise around campus with. I need some help as far as finding the correct parts for the application. I'm looking for speed up to 20 miles an hour, at least 10 miles range, and a total build cost (not including board) of no more than 200 bucks. I'd really like to not use lead acid batteries, nicads or li ions would be cool; but i really don't know exactly what to look for.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sounds like a sweet project... Honestly I think you should check out some of the huge brushless motors and LiPoly batteries available for electric R/C airplanes. Check out some of the lower-power vehicles on evalbum.com (for instance) to get an idea of what your power requirements are, then search for the cheapest components that meet the requirements.

For that performance, I'm guessing $200 is tough but doable with liberal use of ebay and dumpsters. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Long live eBay, Craigslist and Dumpster Diving for these kinds of goods.

Check out parts for E-Bikes, used electric scooters, wheel chairs and go karts. $200 budget should be doable with lots of searching and DIY work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One question i have is with regards to nicd batteries. how would i go about making sure the batteries don't discharge too much or charge too much? what controller do i need or like what do i have to do? i can do all the mechanic stuff, but the electrical stuff is kinda intimidating to me.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
One question i have is with regards to nicd batteries. how would i go about making sure the batteries don't discharge too much or charge too much? what controller do i need or like what do i have to do? i can do all the mechanic stuff, but the electrical stuff is kinda intimidating to me.
for your budget you can use a simple low/high voltage cutoff
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9642

And manually charge the batteries with a DC supply or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts