DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to convert 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. "Electrify Paul Schuster's Ride"

I bought this car a few years ago from a friend, who recently passed away. In his honor I want to convert it. He would have loved the idea as he always grumbled about his carbon footprint and this would make a difference. We ski patrolled together and I know this group would help make this happen, including a very talented mechanic who specializes in european cars.

I have the car in very good condition, and would consider a $10k budget.
Plus what I can fundraise and some volunteer skilled labor. ($3k-$5k?)
A range of 100 miles and top speed of 70 would be adequate.
I also have a local conversion shop who will provide me consulting services.
I have not purchased any parts so far.

Also, I'm planning to install a charging battery pack as my home has solar panels.
So any additional advice on a dual car charge/solar storage would also be appreciated.

Is this practical? Are the budget and specs reasonable?
Is the Alfa a good or bad candidate? Do we know any great Alfa conversions?
Should I farm it out or work with my current mechanic? Attaching his name to the project would make it more popular.

I appreciate all advice.

Jonathon

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Re: Planning to convert 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. "Electrify Paul Schuster's Rid

I bought this car a few years ago from a friend, who recently passed away. In his honor I want to convert it. He would have loved the idea as he always grumbled about his carbon footprint and this would make a difference. We ski patrolled together and I know this group would help make this happen, including a very talented mechanic who specializes in european cars.

I have the car in very good condition, and would consider a $10k budget.
Plus what I can fundraise and some volunteer skilled labor. ($3k-$5k?)
A range of 100 miles and top speed of 70 would be adequate.
I also have a local conversion shop who will provide me consulting services.
I have not purchased any parts so far.

Also, I'm planning to install a charging battery pack as my home has solar panels.
So any additional advice on a dual car charge/solar storage would also be appreciated.

Is this practical? Are the budget and specs reasonable?
Is the Alfa a good or bad candidate? Do we know any great Alfa conversions?
Should I farm it out or work with my current mechanic? Attaching his name to the project would make it more popular.

I appreciate all advice.

Jonathon

People have converted Alfa's. I removed a motor/adapter from a 79 Alfa Spyder. The adapter will fit any of the standard DC motors available and any of the HPEVS AC motors as that was what was attached. I don't need the adapter or flywheel/clutch assembly and pretty sure it would fit your vehicle. It includes the coupler. Shoot me a best offer. Shoot me a PM.

Go check out http://www.evalbum.com and do some searching.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Re: Planning to convert 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. "Electrify Paul Schuster's Rid

It's doable for $10k, but it's a squeeze for that range...Figure buying a Nissan Leaf for $6-8k and using everything...Then a grand for wire and surprises. Second cheapest for that would be buying a Leaf, using the batteries, motor, and bits, and buying aftermarket controllers, BMS, DC-DC, and chargers, you could be below $15k. The benefit is not having the Leaf display and shifter, and more flexibility in general in terms of battery or components.

The Alfa is a fun car, and good-looking. Unless there are chassis constraints that make conversion extra difficult for some reason, it sounds like it could be a great end result.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks Tremulune,
Your words and advice are encouraging.
I will keep you posted here....

Jonathon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts