DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forums, I am planning to covert a Mercedes Benz R07 most likely a 380SL or anything around that price range. I have a couple of questions, maybe you guys can help me.
1) the transmission on these cars is automatic, can this be a problem (I know I can retrofit a manual from Europe, is this the only way?)
2) what kind of motors should I get, I want to keep around the same hp of the car (200hp) or if possible maybe more.
3) can I buy rebuilt motors? Is it cheaper or is this not an option. (If it is where could I buy them)
4) batteries, I know Tesla modules are the best, but are there any other alternatives, that are more affordable (I don't think my wife would let me spend more than 20k on this built :) but I know it will probably will be more than that) I am hoping for above 150 miles range
5) and any other ideas, suggestions you guys could provide. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, I am new to the forums, I am planning to covert a Mercedes Benz R07 most likely a 380SL or anything around that price range. I have a couple of questions, maybe you guys can help me.
1) the transmission on these cars is automatic, can this be a problem (I know I can retrofit a manual from Europe, is this the only way?)
2) what kind of motors should I get, I want to keep around the same hp of the car (200hp) or if possible maybe more.
3) can I buy rebuilt motors? Is it cheaper or is this not an option. (If it is where could I buy them)
4) batteries, I know Tesla modules are the best, but are there any other alternatives, that are more affordable (I don't think my wife would let me spend more than 20k on this built :) but I know it will probably will be more than that) I am hoping for above 150 miles range
5) and any other ideas, suggestions you guys could provide. Thank you in advance.
Hi, are you aware of this:

It was done by Electric Classic Cars in Wales, in the UK, quite recently. I believe it was an AC50 motor (possibly a dual) plus Tesla modules, and used a manual gearbox from a Mazda.

I think you might be able to do it for 20K (USD or GBP), but it'll be very tight - assuming that doesn't include the cost of the car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts