DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've read the guidelines and I'm going to put this out there! It’s project that I’d like to research this year and begin with once I have a clear idea of what is involved. At the moment I’m in the discovery phase.

• I'm thinking of converting my 13 year old 2.5L turbo diesel Toyota Hi-Lux to an electric vehicle.
  • My skill level is that of a 'competent amateur'.
  • Im aiming to maintain the current range of the vehicle - 500 UK miles on one charge.
  • As for performance 0-60 doesn't really come into it as I’m assuming an electric motor will have the same or more torque than the diesel anyway from a standstill. However a top speed of 80mph would be the aim, and losing 4 wheel drive wouldn't be a disaster.
  • Money is always tight, and I'm realistic that it won't be cheap, but I don't know if I'm looking at 4 figures or 5?!
  • I've not seriously looked at any components yet and I know anything is possible. What I am really asking is, what are the questions I need to know and to ask at the moment?!

Many thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well if money is tight, you'd better forget about it.... :p

125 x 400Ah Lifepo4 cells might get you over 400 miles, if you were to drive with a very light foot, but then again, in a heavy, un-aerodynamic vehicle such as a Hi-lux, still unlikely.

But this is ignoring the weight and size of such a battery, it would come in at about 1,787Kg!!!, I don't think even a Hi-lux will handle that. Also, they won't physically fit.

Then, do you want to spend Approx. £50,000 on the battery alone in your 13 year old work horse?! :eek:

A realistic range of about 80 to 100 miles can be achieved for about £10,800 worth of battery plus the cost of other conversion parts, anywhere between about £6,000 to £12,000 as a ball park.

·
Registered
650 Posts
"anything is possible"

Yes, apart from a long range with current battery technology! :cool:

If you look up the Spec. of the Tesla model S 85Kw model, this is about as state of the art as it gets today, and you're looking at a range of around 300 miles in one of the worlds most aerodynamic cars...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Favguy,
Thank you very much for you message in January and I'm sorry for the huge delay in getting back to you!

There are a few things that I'm working on at the moment, not least starting my own business, so I've had to 're-prioritise'!!! :))

Your help though has given me a much better grounding for future projects that I'm planning and building towards.

Thank you again!
Houndingtons,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts