DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I recently picked up a 2002 Yamaha V-Star rolling chassis that I intend on converting to electric. I'm in Canada and am looking for local suppliers so that I don't get stuck paying duties on importing parts. Has anyone dealt with Dana TM4? looks like quality stuff made in Quebec. Otherwise I'd be looking for a Curtis conversion kits.

Also, where is everyone getting their batteries? it sounds like shipping batteries is a no-no and the nickel-metal-hydride that I see auto wreckers post online don't seem to have the energy density needed for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
I'm in Canada and am looking for local suppliers so that I don't get stuck paying duties on importing parts. Has anyone dealt with Dana TM4? looks like quality stuff made in Quebec.
Especially since the Dana acquisition, it would probably be difficult to get anything from TM4 as a individual consumer - they target large manufacturers. They do seem to have good products, although I don't recall any small enough for a motorcycle.

Otherwise I'd be looking for a Curtis conversion kits.
I've seen people refer to these common motor and controller packages from various retailers as "Curtis" systems before, but only the controller is by Curtis Instruments (which doesn't make motors); the motor is usually from HPEVS in car-sized kits.

it sounds like shipping batteries is a no-no and the nickel-metal-hydride that I see auto wreckers post online don't seem to have the energy density needed for a motorcycle.
With any battery-electric vehicle, the preferred technology is lithium-ion. NiMH still works well, but for non-plug-in hybrids.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Especially since the Dana acquisition, it would probably be difficult to get anything from TM4 as a individual consumer - they target large manufacturers. They do seem to have good products, although I don't recall any small enough for a motorcycle.

I've seen people refer to these common motor and controller packages from various retailers as "Curtis" systems before, but only the controller is by Curtis Instruments (which doesn't make motors); the motor is usually from HPEVS in car-sized kits.

With any battery-electric vehicle, the preferred technology is lithium-ion. NiMH still works well, but for non-plug-in hybrids.
I’ve heard that lifepo batteries are more stable and last longer. Do I have to worry about having a bomb between my legs? Is there a Canadian supplier that you can recommend for batteries? What about motors/controllers? Do I need to suck it up and deal with customs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I managed to get a massive Lithium ion battery that had been destined for an Ottawa city bus. The guy that got it for me hasn't dropped it off yet but he's guessing its about 800lbs. I'll be dismantling the cells and reassembling to a size that will fit in a motorcycle. Lot's of stuff on youtube regarding diy batteries but I'm stumpped on what direction to go for a motor.

I like the QS Motor 12KW or 8KW 17" hub motors. It would be a simple option as far as mounting and it would leave lots of room in the frame for batteries. The cost on Aliexpress is reasonable but I'm not sure about getting nailed with customs charges.

I'm also looking at the 10KW air cooled BLDC motor from Golden Motors which is located within driving distance of me so shipping should not be an issue. It is more work to mount in the frame. Also coupling it to the drive shaft or changing the rear tire to one with a sprocket will be an extra expense/challenge. The bonus is that if I use a sprocket/chain set-up I can change the gearing to my preferences.

Any thoughts or experiences with these motors would be appreciated.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have some experience assembling & riding a converted Kawasaki 440 LTD

It has an 8kW brushed motor
...running at ~48V
...& powered by (2) 50AH Chevy Volt module(s)

It's just a city cruiser
...my top speed is ~40 MPH (but, you get there very quick ~3 sec)
...& my range is ~40 miles (this, takes a bit longer)

FYI: here is the build thread
El Moto (Electric Motorcycle) | DIY Electric Car Forums
& here is a video of the beginning of the process

1 - 5 of 5 Posts