DIY Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And what do you guys think about the price? Is the amount of euros for the battery ok?? And for the bms?
Not terrible if they are new. If not haggle hard to get them lower depending upon the mileage on the batteries. BMS. no clue. Im assuming its a Zapi BMS. Check on their site to see what theirs costs new.
Batteries are new ones.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Batteries are new ones.
It is up to you to make the decision. I would still haggle with them to get the price as low as possible. Not likely too many will run in and scoop it up. Go in with some knowledge. Do you know if you can get this to mount up properly to your transaxle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It is up to you to make the decision. I would still haggle with them to get the price as low as possible. Not likely too many will run in and scoop it up. Go in with some knowledge. Do you know if you can get this to mount up properly to your transaxle.

you're right, but these talks is something I like to do face to face. with this deal for the used components he's not charging to much in my opninion. The car this comes from is from a friend who had a bad BMS or no BMS and who killed his batteries within the first year. He then bought a house, had a baby and the car has been sitting, so not much mileage on the motor and controller. But like you say, I will negotiate with him on the prize. I can get the original car for this kit along with the components for free... which is also nice...

for the mounting I'm not to worried. I work as a desgin engineer and we have a workshop in our company that has waterjet cutting, milling machines, lathes, 3D printer, welders, ....
we even have a spline cutter.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
you're right, but these talks is something I like to do face to face. with this deal for the used components he's not charging to much in my opninion. The car this comes from is from a friend who had a bad BMS or no BMS and who killed his batteries within the first year. He then bought a house, had a baby and the car has been sitting, so not much mileage on the motor and controller. But like you say, I will negotiate with him on the prize. I can get the original car for this kit along with the components for free... which is also nice...

for the mounting I'm not to worried. I work as a desgin engineer and we have a workshop in our company that has waterjet cutting, milling machines, lathes, 3D printer, welders, ....
we even have a spline cutter.
Sounds like you have it covered. Will await some results and images and maybe some video. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Jef,
it seems to me that underneath those lots of plasic You will find many undesired "surprises". Be prepared to do some bodywork in addition to the conversion.
Concerning EMV, Heiko Fleck may be able to assist You with documents from the parts he offered. And maybe the beetle should temporarily become a german car and be certified there, and then registered in Belgium (after all this is the EU we are living).
I did all that (in Germany) last year with my Mini, and it happened to be far easier than expected.
Markus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Jef,
it seems to me that underneath those lots of plasic You will find many undesired "surprises". Be prepared to do some bodywork in addition to the conversion.
Concerning EMV, Heiko Fleck may be able to assist You with documents from the parts he offered. And maybe the beetle should temporarily become a german car and be certified there, and then registered in Belgium (after all this is the EU we are living).
I did all that (in Germany) last year with my Mini, and it happened to be far easier than expected.
Markus

Yes. there are quite a few undesired surprises. I bought the car really cheap and now I can restore the body the way I want and I also enjoy doing these things (restoration). With the tear down I can rebuild the car the way I want: roll cage, electric windows, sounds system, roll up seat belts, seat belts in the back, LED lights...
this will slow down the conversion process quite a bit, but that doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This weekend I went to Germany and collected a motor, Controller, dcdc converter, main contacter, vacuum pump for brake and a complete car which it all came from... The plan is to take all components from this car which I can use for the beetle (electric windows, horn, gas pedal, connectors, seat belts, radiator, pump,...) and sell other parts to finance the build a little bit. Heiko Fleck was the person who sold me this and he was really helpful and kind. The price was also a very good deal 1425 euro for everything. He makes very nice EV's.

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
This was a really good deal, I think. And here is good work ahead. All technical issues can be solved with assistance from here (forum), and people like Heiko Fleck.
The other factor will be You: there may come some period when - for any reason - you want to abandon the project. A break may help. (At least it did to me.) I wish you endurance and patience, stay brave!

Do you want to keep the whole plasic? If not, you should disassemble ist carefully, you may get a good price for it. Consider to fit a brake without servo and get rid of the vacuum pump.
I like your project. And that little dog, too!
Markus

21 - 30 of 30 Posts