DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor and controller and electrics in the engine bay, 12v accessory battery in the boot, should I run a new + cable to the front to run my new stuff, like power steering pump (MR2) and Brake Pump (Gast) If so what Gauge and what type of connector could I use to plug in the accessories. This is first time wiring anything so I'm a bit shell shocked at the mo, so I'll do one bit at a time, any help will be great Cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
16 gauge is good for running the 12 volt accessories like the gast pump and stuff. I usually run a thicker gauge wire from the battery to the terminal strip with a 40 amp fuse. Make sure you get a good solid ground connection for the 12 volt system.

I went a little overboard, literally, on my first conversion and used all marine grade wiring since it had thicker insulation. Now I just use regular Auto Store grade wire.

In addition to Powerstream, Powerwerx has some cool connectors and wiring accessories including Anderson connectors and Powerpoles http://www.powerwerx.com/

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Motor and controller and electrics in the engine bay, 12v accessory battery in the boot, should I run a new + cable to the front to run my new stuff, like power steering pump (MR2) and Brake Pump (Gast) If so what Gauge and what type of connector could I use to plug in the accessories. This is first time wiring anything so I'm a bit shell shocked at the mo, so I'll do one bit at a time, any help will be great Cheers
That MR2 pump is going to draw some serious current, if you are going to keep the existing 944 wiring intact I would run a 4awg or larger wire from the new battery up to the stock 944 wiring and run a fused line from that to your new accessories. Make a good ground in the back, a good place is one of the stock grounds. Good luck.

ps. if you want to ditch the power steering in a 944 there are manual racks, or you can "depower" the power rack. I have an instruction pdf (too big to attach on the forum) but I'd be happy to send it to you if you are interested.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys, just got back off me jollydays so back into it this week, I'll be back with more questions Cheers for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts