DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PMSM motor that will not rotate counter clockwise - It has a reverse switch on the controller but that is malfunctioning. I wanted to change the U V W wires going to the motor from the controller but the motor and controller supplier says that will not help. Wishful thinking says he is wrong. I have had this problem with a brushless dc BLDC motor and swapping the wires fixed the problem. I have searched the Google and cant find any information about PMSM motors that helps me answer this question. There is lots of help with AC motors and BLDC but nothing for PMSM - any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
412 Posts
What kind of encoder ? I have a PMAC with UVW encoder, and swapping phases will change the direction but needs to be accompanied by swapping encoder channels. I don't know how that would translate to Sin/Cos encoder though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is PMSM which is Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor
The encoder I don't really know but the manual says (high-performance vector-controlled AC motor controller) and the wires going to the motor say U V W
The encoder has R-, R+, readback SIN+, SIN -, COS+, COS-,
I suppose the question is will it do any harm if I try to swap the wires and see what happens?????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts