DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member and currently putting a Tesla LDU into a Porsche Boxster. It's going well and I have run the car run up & down the back alley a few times. I want to add power steering (PS) and have a question regarding the PS pump set up. I purchased a Volvo S40/C70/C30/V50 ELECTRIC POWER STEERING PUMP on e-bay. This unit is actually made by Ford and is used on smaller cars such as the Ford Focus. There are 5 wires coming out of the pump. The two large wires (#8AWG red & black) come from connector #1 and go directly to the 12V battery. This has been connected. The other three #18AWG wires come from a separate smaller connector that I assume is used for control. From other forums I have read, the grey wire from the smaller connector is for a built in switch that turns the pump on and off. The other two #18AWG wires are for a CANBUS functions that do not need to be connected to run the pump. When I connect 12V power to the grey wire, there is a 3 sec delay and the pump starts for 1/2 second and then stops. I leave the grey wire connected and 3 sec later the pump does the same thing. All the threads I have read say the grey wire is the non-CAN wire that will keep the pump running at about 70%. The forums also say to keep a #8AWG red & black wires connected to the pump to keep the built in capacitors fully charged. I have connected the other two wires individually to the switch but they do not do anything. I think my pump is looking for a CAN signal to keep running. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check for a broken wire near the plug? Could be broke inside the insulation. Sounds kinda like its tourqing just enough to make the wire open up it want to shut off then start the failsafe start up sequence all over.

You could remove the plug, then put a wire directly to the pin to test this theory.

Second theory, whatever 12v/GND connection you have is faulty under load some how.
All guesses here, just things I would look into.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is actually what I’m doing with my old Land Rover. Instead of a Prius unit it uses one out of a Saturn Vue. I think it has a slightly different shape which lends itself to the Land Rover space constraints.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts