DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
I like that link Mannyman, it looks like a good idea. I could consider making one myself as it's only uncomfortably hot one or two months of the year here. I could remove for the rest of the year or as I saw fit.

As for the first link Motosaurus, it looks like that portable cooler uses a "Peltier Device" which when power is put through it, heats up one side and cools the other. These are fun but not terribly powerful. I'd be curious to see if anyone has had success with one of those portable coolers in cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I
As for the first link Motosaurus, it looks like that portable cooler uses a "Peltier Device"
Maybe some do, but I think some of the kooleraire ones use ice. The DIY one uses ice, fans, and a heater core with pump. I agree the peltier solid-state ones won't work. I built a portable 12v mister for the pits, which would work fine in a BEV in dry climates. The mist nozzles are easily available, but they require a 100 psi pump. I could cool a 10x10 canopy for about 2 hours and 3 gallons of water off an emergency car battery.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yes please! As a gadget freak, that's got my attention!
Let us know how it works out in summer conditions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts